OPT-H1 not picked..Planning COS to H4 or F1. Which is better?

Swethama

My opt ends by the end of November 2013 (F1 valid thru July 2014). I filed my H1 through an employer and it is not picked in the lottery. So, to maintain my status I am planning on a few options that I need to plan after November 2013?

1. I came to know that I can still continue my work till my OPT end date. Is that true?

2. H4 as a dependant to my spouse and refile my H1 in April 2014.

3. I am planning to pursue another masters and refile my H1 in April 2014. Is there a possibility to extend my F1 directly? if not what are the other options?

a. when do I need to apply for Universities Fall 2013 or Spring 2014?

b. If spring 2014? how should I maintain my status from November till January?

Which one is better? I need suggestions Please....

You can work on the OPT until it expires (or until you enroll in another university program on F1.)

If you want to study for another degree, you can certainly do that. But that's not for "bridging" some time.

Study because you want to learn things, not because you didn't get an H1 this year.

1. I came to know that I can still continue my work till my OPT end date. Is that true?

2. H4 as a dependant to my spouse and refile my H1 in April 2014.

3. I am planning to pursue another masters and refile my H1 in April 2014. Is there a possibility to extend my F1 directly? if not what are the other options?

a. when do I need to apply for Universities Fall 2013 or Spring 2014?

b. If spring 2014? how should I maintain my status from November till January?

Which one is better? I need suggestions Please....

1.Yes

2.This is the best option

3. This is not an option at all. If you file H1 without completing F1 degree, how will you defend yourself when vo asks "why didn't you completed second master's or why did you joined for second master's?"

a.Just like you did for first master's

b. That's why I said, this is not an option.

@JoeF: ThankYou. Actually I'm not interested to do any second masters at this point of time. I am just looking for all possible options to maintain my status as said :). I understand your point and it make sense. Thanks again.

@rahul412: Will this not be a problem when I refile H1 being on H4? I mean, 1 year gap out of my career? and being on H4 how can I get any employment letter or offer letter?

@rahul412: Will this not be a problem when I refile H1 being on H4? I mean, 1 year gap out of my career? and being on H4 how can I get any employment letter or offer letter?

How can it be problem?? Gap is not big deal.

Without employment letter their is no H1. So how can you think of applying for H1 without offer letter?? And how this will be different if you file H1 when you are on F1??

Archived