OPT to H1 or F1 scenario

ashareddy27

I am on OPT and my OPT expires in June and I have applied for H1 and my application got picked up in the lotterey but not sure if I am going to get H1 . in order not to risk my situation I have applied to a college for masters and they are offering me CPT in the first semester and now they want to transfer my sevis from my previuos college by May 1st . My question is will my OPT expire on the same date of sevis transfer ? if so will I be out of status and cant work until I get my CPT from the new college ? (New college starts on may 6th)

Pls suggest me what will happen in this case

Issuance of the new I-20 will end your OPT period.

It is generally inappropriate for a school to issue CPT in the first semester. There are exceptions; however, if the school generally issues CPT to all students in the first semester, and the courses are al online, it may be one of those schools that ends up getting in trouble and leaving the students in trouble. You may want to investigate the school in a little more detail.

If you like, you could post the name of the school here and see if anyone knows of its reputation.

Archived