Fired from Job, how long do I have

govi1234

Hi all,

I have been working with ***** for one of its major clients in California for about a year. I had 2 more years of H1B valid visa. But I got terminated last week. This week I found another employer who is willing to pertition for my H1 transfer.

I am not sure how soon will ***** revoke my current H1B. Assuming they do so immediately, how long do I have to get my new H1B petition sent?

Many thanks,

Govi

Generally, an H1B employee ceases to maintain valid H1B status when the employment ends. The law does not provide any grace period to file a change of status or change of employer petition. However, in limited circumstances USCIS may still approve a late filed application/petition if the facts warrant a favorable exercise of discretion. Alternatively, a new H1B petition (non-cap subject) could be filed for consular processing. The H1B Beneficiary would be required to depart the U.S. and re-enter with the new H1B approval and a valid visa. Please schedule a consultation to discuss the specific facts of your case and to determine which option is most appropriate in your case.

Archived