Transfer of funds from India to USA

Somasundaram

Assuming you are a "Resident of the US", you will be liable to pay capital gains income tax on the money you are brining into the US.

You will also incur capital gains tax in India before you can obtain a "Foreign Currency" cheque from the RBI in India.

There are some legal ways around getting exemption from capitals gains tax in India such as if you were to invest the money I think for a period of 3 years on tax free bonds, but I would advice you seek out a accountant in India for that.

I doubt if you can avoid paying capital gains tax in the US though.

Siddarth

Assuming you are a "Resident of the US", you will be liable to pay capital gains income tax on the money you are brining into the US.

If the OP is a US tax resident, he would have had to declare that money in his tax returns already. That's called FBAR, if I remember right.

• 4 weeks later...

India has tax treaties with US. Generally, you would be liable for Indian and US taxes, but you will get a tax credit for the taxes paid in India.

Also, if you are talking about inherited property, the answer is yes, you can transfer the proceeds from India. However before starting any proceedings I would strongly recommend that you talk to a lawyer and accountant in India and also a US accountant who has experience in handling international taxation.

Archived