H1B first stamping in Ottawa, ON

vivbravo

Hello all,

I went to get my first H1B stamped at Ottawa on 8th April 2013 and the VO gave me a 221G blue form saying that they need to conduct administrative/investigation processing and an email will be sent within 3 weeks.

Model: EVC

The form doesn't requests for any missing documents. Document collected were my I797 form, employer letter and my resume.

Can any one please tell me how to track the progress of administrative processing?

I'm also worried since they returned back my passport, which I think was due to following:

The Goof up:

Amongst many questions answered during the interview there were certain questions where I made mistakes and think that might be the reason for 221G

Visa Officer: Who is your employer?

Me: xyz Dallas, TX

Visa Officer: how long have you been working?

Me: (took some time calculating--> nervous -->goofed up) said 3 years instead of 2.5 years

Visa Officer: What's your job role?

Me: described in detail (regaining my senses)

This whole time the Visa officer kept on typing on his computer without looking at me.

Visa Officer: What was your education in USA?

Me: Goofed up--> I did my Masters in Electrical & Electronic engineering (as to what my I20 said, while my degree certificate only mentioned MS in Electrical Engineering)

Visa Officer: Is there any such degree? I haven't heard of this before.

Me: Yes, they call it EEE.

Visa Officer: Okay, so right now I'm going to return your passport and keep your visa under administrative processing. We'll run some background checks and do some investigation. You'll be contacted through email as to when reappear for the interview. Then after we'll keep your passport to stamp your visa returning it to you at Ottawa post office after 2 business days.

Me: Alright, but in case if you need to check any legal documents pertaining to my client/employer, I have it all with me right now.

Visa Officer: I donot want anything to see right now. If you have any questions you can contact at ottawaadmproc@state.gov

Equally goofed up Visa Officer:

Visa Officer: In the mean time if you want to travel back to states you can do that since you are on OPT June till 2013.

Me: (questioning him polietly--->highly confused) Are you sure I can enter the states, since my H1B got effective from Oct 2012 so technically my F1 is no longer valid.

Visa Officer: you can try persuading the Immigration officer to let you in. Take this copy of your I797 form and give it a try. If you're denied entry you can always return back to Canada!!

I took my passport and documents thankfully saying him that I'll wait to hear from them instead trying re-entry as it sounds ambiguous to me.

Reason of my anxiety:

-I'm worried if VO should have asked me for my client/vendo letter or any other document before giving me 221G

-I'm also worried since 11 of my colleagues got their first h1b stamped from Ottawa consulate in 2012-2013.

Reply from everyone and anyone who faced administrative processing likewise will be highly appreciated.

Equally goofed up Visa Officer:

Visa Officer: In the mean time if you want to travel back to states you can do that since you are on OPT June till 2013.

Me: (questioning him polietly--->highly confused) Are you sure I can enter the states, since my H1B got effective from Oct 2012 so technically my F1 is no longer valid.

Visa Officer: you can try persuading the Immigration officer to let you in. Take this copy of your I797 form and give it a try. If you're denied entry you can always return back to Canada!!

I took my passport and documents thankfully saying him that I'll wait to hear from them instead trying re-entry as it sounds ambiguous to me.

dude, don't do what the VO suggested to do so. A VO who doesn't even know about EEE, that's weird.

Your F1 is invalid since you are on H1. Don't loose your hope, everything should be alright. Make sure that your client knows everything.

BTW if you are working in IT then I guess this should be the reason for your 221g.

Firstly, thank you for your response on this topic. I've following questions with regards to the discussion:

@forbestletshope: to check the status should I follow this link https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?

It still shows me administrative processing.

@rahul412: I work as a network engineer for a major telecommunication company in Texas under E-V-C model. I came to know from my attorney that even the Visa officers are hired on contracts, so I guess he must be newly hired or something. But the thing is I feel like being jeopardized because of someone else's shallow knowledge.

Also, please tell me that since my pay is generated on hourly basis so if I am stuck in a situation like this in Canada and not getting paid for 2 weeks, will that cause a problem on my current H1b status?

Also, please tell me that since my pay is generated on hourly basis so if I am stuck in a situation like this in Canada and not getting paid for 2 weeks, will that cause a problem on my current H1b status?

Your H1 is valid only when you are in US.

But make sure that your W2 salary is not less than LCA salary by the end of this year.

• 5 months later...

@vivbravo:

yes that's the site to track visa status. & regarding administrative process it usually takes 3 4 weeks. So only thing you could do is wait.

In my case too, I was issued 221(g) white slip & it took 4 weeks in my case for update.

Now my visa status shows as issued & I'm waiting for my passport.

Lucky you! forbestletshope. I have been waiting for my administrative processing to clear up since 10th of Sept 2013. Still pending .No documents were asked except my resume. So ambiguous and so frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived