B1/B2 - Administrative Processing

protocol96

Hi All,

Here's what has happened: I applied for b1/b2 and appeared for an interview in November. The counselor told me that my visa is approved but he needs to check something which he will do later in the day when he gets back to his desk so he is handed me a plain yellow colored 221g form with nothing mentioned on it. The whole interview was very pleasant where we had even joked about me stating my salary in USD and him not being able to get it and asking for it in local currency.

So I started waiting, kept checking the link mentioned on the yellow form and it was after approx. 5 months my case number appeared on the website/pdf. As per the instructions on the website I submitted my passport and the guy at the OFC checked the system and accepted my passport. After few days I get the email that my passport is ready for pick and on receiving it I see that my yellow form and passport without stamping it being returned. I checked with the OFC guys and they tell me that I have been put under administrative processing again. The OFC guy asks for my name and gives me a smirk since I have a very common last name ("Khan"). He then proceeds to tell that people have been placed in AP for upto 2 years and once he has repeated this exercise 4 times with a guy.

I am confused why they made me do the futile exercise of submitting my passport and collecting it back again when I was still under AP. I am not sure if there is any other option I can pursue except for waiting.

Archived