h4 to f1

manvi_181

Hi,

I have a valid H4, but have not traveled to US so far (I reside in India). I am scheduled to fly to US on June 9. In the mean time I also have admits from a few schools and am planning to study on an F1 visa (since I have some GA opportunities which I want to take advantage of). Now my dilemma:

Most schools start in Aug end/Sept first week and the F1 visa rules say that I can't travel to US more than 30 days before the start of the school. So even if I get an F1 now in India, I wont be able to travel to US in June as planned.

Can I travel on a H4 in June and go to Canada to get my F1 stamped in Aug just before start of school? How much time I will need in Canada if I go this route to get an F1 stamp?

Is is advisable to travel to India to get an F1 stamp?

Are there any preparations I can do before leaving from India in June to make the process of stamping a bit easier and less time consuming?

Thanks for your help!

From the website of the US Embassy in Canada: "Consular officers in Canada may refuse to issue a visa to first-time F1 applicants if the applicant's education and/or work experience is solely or predominantly from a country other than the United States or Canada. In the absence of U.S. or Canadian education or work experience, we strongly encourage you to apply from your country of residence." You may want to visit that website for more information, and contact the embassy if you still have questions.

From the website of the US Embassy in Canada: "Consular officers in Canada may refuse to issue a visa to first-time F1 applicants if the applicant's education and/or work experience is solely or predominantly from a country other than the United States or Canada. In the absence of U.S. or Canadian education or work experience, we strongly encourage you to apply from your country of residence." You may want to visit that website for more information, and contact the embassy if you still have questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived