H4 Application along with new H1B Application

StatusQuestion

My company is currently applying for status change for myself from L1 to H1, however they are not applying for H4 for my dependents now. I am have been told that they will have to travel back to India as soon as my status changes, Once they are back in India, they need to apply for H4 and then comeback after stamping. This seems to be a complex process.

I am asking my company to apply for H4 also along with my H1 status change application. Is there any legal issue in this option? ( i.e Applying for H4 along with H1 status change application)

Also if my company doesn't apply for H4 now, can I do it on my own. If yes, what all information should I need for this?

Please let me know

No there shouldn't be legal issue for applying H4 along with H1 status change, its normal. Either you can get your own attorney to do it or guess can file it yourself. It's for you to decide. Just make sure between these status changes, you maintain their legal stay, if not then they would need to travel outside/get stamped and come back.

Thanks for the clarification. Now my company has already fled my H1. I will first wait for the clarity on the status of my application(given the fact that it might go into Lottery).

Once my application status is confirmed, I guess I would need my receipt details to apply for my dependents. What all additional information should I need for filing for my dependents?

Archived