F-1 to H4 Question

phaniuppala

Hi friends,

I have a question regaridng my wifes status,I am on H1b ,she came to US on H4,After staying on H4 for nearly 2 years ,she wanted to pursue her masters and applied for admission in one fo the accrediated university and succesfully completed 3 semesters with gpa around 3.8.Her COS status was approved after nearly 5 months.During her study in the Univ she never took CPT or worked for any employer.We had a family emergency and she took a sem break (clearly informing the Univ official) before leaving.But due to some miss communication they thought that she didnot register for any classes and cancelled her SEVIS.Right now her sevis is terminated and she is in India.My question is, Can she attend a H4 and come back to us (As i have my H1b till sep 2016),will there be any problem in this one?

Or if the univ issues a new I20 with new Sevis ID,Is it good that she attends a F-1 visa in india and come here and continue her studies here?

I need your suggestion in this Issue.

Thanks!!!

Hi t75,

Thanks for the response,In this case the issue is with DSO,When my wife was travelling she spoke to a DSO who later resigend from the univ just days after we left to India.Now when we are trying to reach the new DSO or some one in International office..either its going to a VM or no one is responding.The reaosn for trying a F-1 visa is she is about to get a teaching assistantship under one of her prof for next sem.Right now we are in confusion which option to choose.

Thanks.

Guest Noah Lotte

Take another look at a posting in which somebody believes that a DSO knows everything about visas, etc....when, in fact, they have zero knowledge of the process and the standards by which interviews are conducted.

Hi Noah,

Ya i know DSO may or may not know complete procudure of how the interview's are conducted,Thats the reason i posted here to get some advice and suggestions to which would be the best way to deal with the situation I am in.

Hi Joe,

Univ is CCNY,in new york City,Univ does have a new DSO,but they are not taking my issue seriosuly and not replying to our emails.They say they are busy and not giving us an appointment.

Thanks.

She absolutely need F-1.

It has been spring break and may people are out

The International Student Office (or whatever it is called at her university) reports to someone. It is likely a VP for Student Services/Affairs/Enrollment. Call that office.

I'm not sure but I think her record needs to be reinstated? ASk the university for all the necesary documents for F-1 stamping. If you do not get a response in a few days then go ahead with H-4 stamping and then change status to F-1 once in the US. There is still a lot of time for the next semester (fall?) , so even if you initiate a change of status in april-mid, you should get your approval by august.

Definitely contact the university somehow and ask them for next steps. I think there should be someone available at the ISS office. Fax is better than phone sometimes.

I agree that accredited schools will have someone at the ISS office on every business day. When my school DSO retired, the other DSO took over all responsibilities.

And I also think that DSO should be trusted, ideally. Ofcourse, they are human and they makem istakes too but they should be one point of contact, in addition to contacts from friends, forums, class mates etc.

Archived