Business in USA by Student

Sanabk

Hello All,

I got my masters in one of the USA universities and worked in US industry for 5+ years (got the ax and GC application went into gutter). Since, I have been pursuing a PhD in my almamater university and wondering if I can start a business in USA using my F1 approval status (got a H1B to F1 change of status and haven't gotten a chance to get F1 visa stamped on my passport).

I am very much interested in pursing a business opportunity and wondering if my status hinders my interest. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Sanabk

• 2 months later...

@t75 -> what is a passive investor? 

I'm on H1, I would like to partner with a US Citizen to kick off a start-up. Is passive investor an option for me.

Thank you, in advance!

A passive investor is somebody who puts money into a business and otherwise stays out of it.

Think of investing in the stock market. If you buy Microsoft stock, for example, you become a co-owner of Microsoft. That doesn't mean that you have anything to do with the business operations of MS. You don't get keys to their offices, you don't get access to their bank accounts, etc. You can get dividends if the company decides to give out dividends to the shareholders.

Archived