opt denied twice

sumanpal

Hi,

I am Suman. I am doing this for my friend. He did his Masters from ***. He finished it on May 2012. He applied for OPT, it got denied twice. In second time doc he got to know that his SEVIS was not updated when on semester break. He worked on CPT for the period. It is his last chance. What should he do now?

Please help.

Can your friend not post for himself???

Or are you the person in question?

It seems the "university" he went to is fake. Going to a fake university and abusing CPT were obviously really bad choices.

He can probably forget any career in the US.

Avoid any CPT stuff. That has been abused, and using CPT will kill your career (except in very limited circumstances with REAL universities.)

Care to tell us which university this is?

Is the university accredited? If not, get out of there immediately. You would just be wasting your money with an unaccredited diploma mill.

All too many people 'attended' 'universities' (using the terms loosely) with the primary purpose of getting CPT employment authorization to work full-time. Whether these people realized it nor not, most of such use of CPT for full time employment is an abuse of the immigration laws, regulations and rules. CPT stands for "curriculum practical training" and is intended strictly for work directly required for a course or as part of the required curriculum versus a general form of employment authorization. A number of questionable 'universities' were in the (for profit) business of using CPT to fraudulently get around the need for a H-1B visa and circumvent immigration laws, regulations, and rules. For these reasons, all CPT has become suspect. In most major, reputable, (accredited,) universities, CPT is more of an exception than the normal practice.

Avoid any CPT stuff. That has been abused, and using CPT will kill your career (except in very limited circumstances with REAL universities.)

Care to tell us which university this is?

Is the university accredited? If not, get out of there immediately. You would just be wasting your money with an unaccredited diploma mill.

Actually I gave the university name but mod censored it. Our university got accreditation in this month itself. WASC gave the accreditation. It is ***************. Actually I finished my graduation in May 2012. I applied for the OPT and got RFE for it. I submitted the documents recently awaiting for the response. We seriously didn't know that we shouldn't avail CPT, I took it only because I thought I can avail it or else I wouldn't have made this mistake.

We seriously didn't know that we shouldn't avail CPT, I took it only because I thought I can avail it or else I wouldn't have made this mistake.

I can understand that. But that is against the rules of F1 program.

Your university got accreditation this month, that means it doesn't have accreditation when you got graduated so your degree is invalid.

For more info

Actually I gave the university name but mod censored it. Our university got accreditation in this month itself. WASC gave the accreditation. It is ***************. Actually I finished my graduation in May 2012. I applied for the OPT and got RFE for it. I submitted the documents recently awaiting for the response. We seriously didn't know that we shouldn't avail CPT, I took it only because I thought I can avail it or else I wouldn't have made this mistake.

You still can't get an H1 with that "degree". The university has to be accredited when you graduate.

You wasted your money on a worthless piece of paper.

And quite frankly, after the TVU raid in Jan. 2011, you should have known that CPT is a really bad thing. After TVU, nobody can claim they "didn't know." Please don't try that BS on us.

Archived