U.S. univ employee traveling to India for H1b

suffolk2325

I came to US on F1, did OPT and now on H1B at a U.S. university. Going to India for the first time after getting H1B approval last year. My university academic year is from August of a year through May of next year.

I am going to India end of May and have to go to U.S. embassy then for visa stamping.

Since my university issues the official yearly contract only every July, the Human Resources of my univ said they could give me a letter to VO, requesting I be granted H1B visa to re-enter U.S. to continue teaching from August 2013 on wards. My Dept. Head will also give a similar letter. Would this letter suffice instead of a contract? I have copies of I-29, original I797 and LCA, pay stubs, etc.

Please provide your thoughts. Thank you

I came to US on F1, did OPT and now on H1B at a U.S. university. Going to India for the first time after getting H1B approval last year. My university academic year is from August of a year through May of next year.

I am going to India end of May and have to go to U.S. embassy then for visa stamping.

Since my university issues the official yearly contract only every July, the Human Resources of my univ said they could give me a letter to VO, requesting I be granted H1B visa to re-enter U.S. to continue teaching from August 2013 on wards. My Dept. Head will also give a similar letter. Would this letter suffice instead of a contract? I have copies of I-29, original I797 and LCA, pay stubs, etc.

Please provide your thoughts. Thank you

In my case (postdoc at university) the only document they asked for was the approval notice.

Thank you for the response. I was told last week by another H1b employee that a signed contract letter between employer and employee is an important doc to produce at U.S. embassy in India when one goes for H1b stamping.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I wouldn't have this contract letter (when I go to embassy in end-May) for the future .....because our contracts are issued every July for one year at a time (from August through early May of next year).

Any thoughts on this? Please post. Thank you

I'm guessing you are a non-tenure track continuing employee and not a non-tenure track fixed term employee. With the assumption that you are a non-tenure track continuing employee, then you know that- "This continuing faculty appointment is subject to renewal at the close of any academic year in the same way that administrative staff members are renewed. The expectation is that employment will continue unless there are extraordinary circumstances (such as fiscal exigency or enrollment declines) or individual performance or medical issues."

I don't anticipate seeing you have any issues especially since you will also be presenting your approved I797 document with valid dates. It may be good to have the contract in the future but with a letter from the HR and Dept head you should be good to go. Was the other H1-B employee you mentioned a university employee? Please also note that your case will stand out (in a good way) when compared to the other candidates, the majority of them who maybe EVC, EVVC models etc (my apologies to my friends in the IT world). I have always had the easiest H1 B visa interviews that just involved an exchange of pleasantries. It always helps when you work full time for a reputable organization and the visa officer doesn't have to second guess your education, role and responsibilities. Good luck!

Thank you Maverick41 for detailed answer. You are right that I am on a non-tenure track, but continuing employment in the position of academic faculty that requires advanced degree. You are also right that my education, role and responsibilities can be easily verified through the letters that I will get from HR and my Dept. Head.

No, the other h1b employee works in a non-university setting.

Thanks again

Archived