Is MS in Business Analytics a STEM degree

a.kumar.er

I am currently in United States and enrolling for MS in Business Analytics degree as an Internation Student. I am a little bit confused about if this degree is STEM or not. I have tried to find it on google but of no help.

Ask you school DSO, they are the best resource in this case.

aked them, they are sying it is currently not in STEM but they are working on it? they are not telling me more than that, now what is the meaning of this "working on it"

It means that maybe at some time in the future this degree might or might not be included in the STEM list.

For you, it means that you can not get a STEM extension.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JoeF, yes business analytics is not a STEM degree.

one more question, I have checked ICE website fro STEM programs "http://www.ice.gov/sevis/stemlist.htm" and business statistics is a STEM program. and Texas texh university offers "MS in Business statistics"(mentioned on their website) so i was thinking of applying there, but when i asked them what degree name will be written on my degree they says degree name will be "Master of Science/Business Administration – concentration certificate in Statistics" now i am confused whether it will fall under STEM or not. To me it should not right????

when I asked them about whether it falls under stem or not , there response was, "Sure its in the STEM program, or should be. Don;t know about any code though." Please suggest...

A MS in statistics is very different from an MS in Business with a concentration in Statistics. If you have the proper background in math, apply for a math/statistics degree.

Worry less about the STEM extension and more about getting a degree and any job. There are very many unemployed business graduates in many specialties.

Texas Tech is a reputable university, and there are no questions about the school. The MS in Business Statistics is under the Rawls College of Business, but under Information Systems and Quantitative Sciences (ISQS). It is also listed as both Master of Science (MS) and Master Business Administration (MBA). It seems that it could be interpreted either with respect to a STEM degree. Do they offer different course tracks for MS versus MBA? (For example, my daughter's program is offered as either a Bachelor of Art (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) depending on the electives track she chooses. She is of course pursuing the BS track.) I am not sure where you can check to get a definitive ruling.

There are many unemployed business school graduates. The problem is not the school but the degree.

Quite true.

To OP: Business Statistics is also studied as a branch of Statistics. Thus the STEM classification might apply to MS (Statistics) with a concentration in Business Statistics. Check the website of American Statistical Association (AMSTAT). They offer a lot of information on Statistics. (BTW, they also publish a journal: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics).

Thanks guys for help.

Anyway I am waiting for the final decision from universities and then we will decide where to go and where not to go :)....

One more question if you guys can help me.. I am currently on H1 and going to transfer to F1 once i get admission, I have completed almost 6 years on current H1, so when after completion of my degree and an employer will filing, will that 6 years limit will still be problem or not?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived