Valid I-20 and started working on OPT, but F1 expired

nanduwanted

I just wanted to know someone's opinion, in case they have been in my situation too. I started working on OPT from Nov/1/2012 after graduating with my PhD. Our company is applying for H1 shortly. But my F1 expired June 2007. I haven't travelled outside the country since my visa expired but have been here on my valid I-20 and now on OPT. Would there be a possibilty of my H1 being rejected here or if/when they approve of the application here, should I be prepared for rejection at the Consulate back in India? Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

I just wanted to know someone's opinion, in case they have been in my situation too. I started working on OPT from Nov/1/2012 after graduating with my PhD. Our company is applying for H1 shortly. But my F1 expired June 2007. I haven't travelled outside the country since my visa expired but have been here on my valid I-20 and now on OPT. Would there be a possibilty of my H1 being rejected here or if/when they approve of the application here, should I be prepared for rejection at the Consulate back in India? Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

VISA is an entry document required to enter into US.

You entered into US with F1 visa but your legal stay is based on your I20 and I94 expiration date. In your case you are legal till your OPT expiration date.

If in worst case your H1 is rejected you can stay in US till your OPT expiration date.

Archived