How long can I stay in the country after OPT is denied ? Graduated in Nov 2012 . Employer filing for H1B in April once it opens

zale

Graduated in Nov . Sent in OPT . Over 180 days since graduation , OPT decision came back ( Feb ) denied . But employer is filing H1B in April . How long can I stay in the US ? I know I have to leave the country to get my H1B visa stamped and come back in , but I will want to do that closer to October to reenter - but right now , how long can I stay without gaining unlawful presence since I am over 180 days out of graduation .

Well technically my question is was I out of status when waiting for OPT and am I gaining any unlawful presence while waiting for OPT and after the denial that could impact my H1B visa app?

It's been over 4 months waiting for OPT and I finally got my denial. Was I out of status waiting because I was over 60 days of the grace period after my graduation. Technically since Nov it's been 130 days - which is well over the 60 days. It's just that someone told me I will be banned from the US if I am in the US over 100+ days and it's been 100+ days since i ended my studies.

There is no bar until 180 days of unlawful presence. Generally an F-1 does not accrue any unlawful presence until USCIS has determined them to be out of status; unlawful presence starts on the date of the USCIS determination. Being out of status is not the same thing as being unlawfully present.

Archived