Help needed with few Q's

AKP117

Hi,

I am PhD in engineering currently working as a postdoc at a university. I have this job until next year. I am currently under OPT extension. My lawyer at the university promised me that with my current credentials, he can get my i 140 approved in 4 months under NIW, EB-2 category. However as I am from India, I have to wait longer to get adjustment of status. I have following questions-

My husband and myself are looking for

jobs

icon1.png

. In case we do not get jobs in the same city, I may have to quit my job temporarily.

1) what happens if I quit job after my i 140 approval? As the NIW

petition

icon1.png

do not require sponsorship, do I still have to maintain my status as H1b?

2) Can I work in any research lab part time?

3) Can I work in a company after my i140 approval belonging to the same field as my degree?

4) How long can I stay without job after i140 approval before I find another job?

Thanks In advance,

If you "self-petition" your NIW, then you will not be tied to a single employer. You will need to maintain a nonimmigrant status to remain in the US, and you must have a nonimmigrant status valid for work, such as H-1B, if you intend to work, until your I-485 is filed. It is recommendable to maintain nonimmigrant status even after filing the I-485. Please be sure that you obtain legal counsel on these issues from a qualified immigration attorney.

If you "self-petition" your NIW, then you will not be tied to a single employer. You will need to maintain a nonimmigrant status to remain in the US, and you must have a nonimmigrant status valid for work, such as H-1B, if you intend to work, until your I-485 is filed. It is recommendable to maintain nonimmigrant status even after filing the I-485. Please be sure that you obtain legal counsel on these issues from a qualified immigration attorney.

Thank you very much!

Archived