First time H1b stamping and unknown outcome/result or 221g

sbpl

Hi

I am a postdoc working on H1b in a large pulic university since last 3 years. Me and my wife went for our first H1b stamping. Before this I was on F1 for a couple of years (during my PhD).

We had our interview at Delhi. The visa officer told us to go to another counter and submit the passport. The Indian guy at this second counter did not ask for any other documents and no slip was issued to me.

Upon checking the visa status on the DOS website (using the DS160 bar code) number I see "Administrative processing".

So whats the deal. Is this about 221g. If yes then why didnt they ask for further documents or issue me a slip. Looks like most people on 221g get slip.

The only documents I was ever asked was the USCIS approval notice.

Any idea as to what's wrong. I and my wife have never had any problems before (F1/F2, renewals etc.)

I am a little unsure as to what exactly is going on. Maybe I should look for a job in India :)

Thanks in advance

This not uncommon. I am sailing in the same boat since Dec. Visa Officer told me that my VISA is approved, but then when check online, my case status is Administrative Processing. There are many more similar cases you'll find if you search this forum.

At least he told you that your visa is approved. In my case he didnt say anything. In retrospect I should have asked him.

This not uncommon. I am sailing in the same boat since Dec. Visa Officer told me that my VISA is approved, but then when check online, my case status is Administrative Processing. There are many more similar cases you'll find if you search this forum.

Is administrative processing = 221g?

Because no where during the entire interview process was 221g mentioned anywhere and neither any kind of slip was issued to me.

At this point I am seriously considering applying for academic jobs in India. One funny thing was that the visa officer first asked for my kids passports (US citizens) and then asked me their DOBs.

Well 221g after seems very much possible. I went for Visa interview in Nov for H1-B at Hyderabad. Got 221g white. No Docs asked. Then I transferred to my vendor company and went for interview at Chennai in February. VO told visa approved. Sad part is that my old petition went to initial review after my visa interview. So, instead of getting passport with stamp, I got a 221g form asking me to withdraw old petition. My old employer agreed to withdraw the petition and I submitted to the consulate, the letter they wrote to USCIS request for withdrawal of my petition. Case updated today and still shows "Administrative Processing".

Administrative Process is an generic term used by the consulate. Even for PIMS update they use this term though it is not a 221g .

I see. Originally I thought that the administrative processing is either due to PhD (TAL realted) or potentially a background check as I do have a Muslim name.

Archived