*** H1B reaffirmed and approved from USCIS after 18 months ***

forumman

I have a US Masters degree and later got H1B approved until September 2013 and worked in the US for 1 year. I came to India and appeared for a H1B visa interview in Chennai in May, 2011. I was asked to submit more documents (query) which I submitted in June, 2011. After 4 long months, in October 2011, I got a letter from the Chennai Consulate that my H1B has been sent back to USCIS and they cannot issue visa at that time.

Today, February 20, 2013, I got an email from USCIS :

"On February 19, 2013, we mailed a notice to you reaffirming the approval of this case and returned the case to the Department of State for visa processing. For more information, please contact them directly."

So, from what I understand, I have to go for visa stamping with the reaffirmation letter and all other supporting documents. Can someone guide on how to proceed ? Did anyone face the same situation ?

Thanks

As you received USCIS reaffirmation after 18 months, you need to file new DS-160, apply afresh for H-1B visa interview, take all the supporting documents. If you are working directly as full-time, employer's letter confirming you are still an employee. If you are working in EVC mode, client's letter and employer's letters will strengthen your case. Best of luck.

@itsmeusa: I think I don't need to file a new DS-160 since this reaffirmation is for the case based on old DS-160 and also no need to pay visa interview fees from what I heard from people with similar situation. The real problem now is how to get a fresh client letter from the same client saying that they are waiting for me for the past 1 year and the position is still open.

There is no specified timeline for admin processing. Actually, they made a decision after 1 month and they let me know the decision after 4 months. I can tell this by the date on the rejection letter.

Sometimes I question the quality of work done by the US Consulate. I understand the work load. But how much time would it take to mail a damn letter.

Yes, I have faced this delay too. It sucks.

As you received USCIS reaffirmation after 18 months, you need to file new DS-160, apply afresh for H-1B visa interview, take all the supporting documents. If you are working directly as full-time, employer's letter confirming you are still an employee. If you are working in EVC mode, client's letter and employer's letters will strengthen your case. Best of luck.

No need to book a fresh appointment for this, you need to send an email to the respective consulate when you receive all the documents from your employer (reaffirmation letter and all), then consulate will ask you to come on for an interview again, without any appointment specific date and time, although you have to take a print out of the same email in order to enter into the consulate.

@lostpacket: They do it on purpose. They want to delay as long as possible because they know that the more time they delay processing, the less the chances are that our client still waits for us..

I do agree with this, as in real world no client will wait for an year, client want to get his work done and after a certain time of wait they look for replacement.

In my case client waited for 5 months but they have their limitations also and we can not expect or blame them for this.

Cheap tricks are played by Consulates and USCIS to get this process more tough for an applicant as well as for petitioner.

Archived