Will my H1-B visa get cancelled when I will go for my H4 visa stamping?

JPune

Hi,

I am currently working in US with a valid H1-B visa.

Is it possible, if I get H4 visa stamped and also my H1-B visa does not get cancelled?

My husband's company is ready to file a H4 dependent visa for me, but I am not sure if I can maintain both the visas on my passport. Will my H1-B visa get cancelled when I will go for my H4 visa stamping?

Would really appreciate if any one can advice me on my situation.

Thanks.

Generally, a nonimmigrant may only be in possession of one nonimmigrant visa at a time. In addition, an individual may only hold one nonimmigrant status at a time while in the U.S. It may be possible to request the consular officer not cancel the visa while applying for a visa in a different category. Please schedule a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney to discuss the specific facts relating to your case.

Generally, a nonimmigrant may only be in possession of one nonimmigrant visa at a time.

May I ask since when?

It always used to be possible to have multiple visas. Lots of people, me included, had multiple valid visas in the passport (I had valid B1/B2 and H1 visas at the same time.)

JoeF, I totally agree with you......even my husband has a valid B1/B2 and H1-B visas in his passport......but since H4 is not a work related visa, do you think we can have both H1-B and H4 in my passport at the same time?

May I ask since when?

It always used to be possible to have multiple visas. Lots of people, me included, had multiple valid visas in the passport (I had valid B1/B2 and H1 visas at the same time.)

May I ask since when?

=> I think attorney meant that one can have only one 'visa status' at a time.

To clarify terms, a "visa" is imprinted on your passport. People confuse this all the time. It is generally permissible to have more than one valid visa in your passport at a time, as long as you are still eligible for the status indicated thereon. If you continue to be eligible for H-1B status but want to use H-4 temporarily, you may want to request that the consular officer not cancel it, as sometimes they cancel old visas automatically, assuming that you are no longer eligible.

Your nonimmigrant status in the US is not demonstrated by the visa in your passport, it is demonstrated by your I-94.

"Visa status" is not a correct technical term.

Archived