OPT to H1 and maternity leave

jananu

X will be starting a new job with an employer on OPT and then getting H1 filed this april. However, will be requiring a maternity leave before October. How will this work?

-FMLA will not be eligible since it needs an employee to be working in a company for at least 12 months.

-Can an employee go on an unpaid short term disability leave (on OPT status) followed by a unpaid maternity leave( mostly on a H1 status)?

- or is it required to change to an H4 status while on disability and wait for the H1 status to become active in October?

- Also, mostly these leaves would be unpaid but can attain the necessary medical documentation for the same? Will that be ok?

- By when should one who's on maternity leave join back to the company once the H1 status has been activated (i.e, after october 1st)?

- Once you have a H1 approval receipt, will one be cap exempt? ( In any circumstances of needing to quit the job and join back after maternity, so that one wouldn't have to wait until next april ( for new h1 petition) and next october to start work?

these are a lot of questions.Would greatly appreciate some help.Been pretty confused about all of this.

-Can an employee go on an unpaid short term disability leave (on OPT status) followed by a unpaid maternity leave( mostly on a H1 status)?

=> On OPT you don't need to be paid. On medical grounds on H1b you can stay unpaid. In short, If you are unable to report to work, you can stay unpaid.

- or is it required to change to an H4 status while on disability and wait for the H1 status to become active in October?

=> It's not required.

- Also, mostly these leaves would be unpaid but can attain the necessary medical documentation for the same? Will that be ok?

- By when should one who's on maternity leave join back to the company once the H1 status has been activated (i.e, after october 1st)?

=> You can take the leave as per doctor advice. Keep those medical documents to make sure that you were unpaid for medical grounds.

- Once you have a H1 approval receipt, will one be cap exempt? ( In any circumstances of needing to quit the job and join back after maternity, so that one wouldn't have to wait until next april ( for new h1 petition) and next october to start work?

=> Once your H1b is approved, you are exempted for 6 years of H1b stay.

"By when should one who's on maternity leave join back to the company once the H1 status has been activated (i.e, after october 1st)?

Does it depend on the doctor's report? "

=> Though it depends on doctor's report, I would suggest hiring an attorney and discussing your case in detail. They would also tell you that what kinds of documentations are important in your particular case. A couple of hundred dollars will make life easy.

Archived