US citizenship eligibility question

rupa1000

I got my green card in Jun 2007. I took a job transfer through my US based firm to India in Nov 2007. From Nov 17, 2007 to Dec 29th 2009, I was in India working for the American firm. My company applied for a re-entry permit valid from Aug 2008 - Aug 2010. I visited US in year 2009 3 times. once in July 2009 , stayed for 2 weeks. Then in Oct 2009, stayed for a week. Then moved with my family for continuous residence to USA in Dec 30, 2009. From Dec 2009 to now, I am in USA. I was out for 6 weeks in Dec 2011. I have completed my 30 months physical presence test. Can I apply for citizenship under 4 year + 1 day rule now? I have filed taxes continuously from 2007 to 2011. Also I am planning to go back to India again for an year on job. How does this job transfer affect my citizenship if I come back and apply later? Thank you.

Since you are working for a US based firm which is posting you to India, you need to have a sit down consultation with their attorney to discuss what was previously filed, what should be filed and your options. This is a reasonable request on your part. Your reference to a reentry permit leaves me concerned that they did not take full advantage of the regulations applying to US companies.

Your reference to a reentry permit leaves me concerned that they did not take full advantage of the regulations applying to US companies.

I assume you were thinking about an N-470 here. That likely wouldn't have worked, if the OP got the GC in June 2007 and got an appointment abroad in Nov. 2007.

Archived