H1b Stamping - got arrested

pkumar2013

Hi,

I'm planning to go for my H1-B stamping in canada and i have clear immigration record so far. I directly work for a client. But recently i got arrested for in descent exposure in he state of MA, I have hired an lawyer to defend my case and its still in the process.

Please suggest me, will it be a good idea for me to go for stamping in the middle of the court trial process.

Kumar,

I am afraid that it will work against you. Even after the case is cleared I would recommend you stay away from stamping for one year after the case is resolved. After one Year you can request for your history from DMV ( I believe all arrests are recorded onto your license irrespective of the type of the arrest). Most of the cases arrests ( not convictions) are dropped off from the history after a year. In any event this is a strong case that needs an attorney's advice preferably by the best in industry.

• 4 months later...

Consult an attorney and expunge your case. It will be removed from your records. Expungement may cost from $200 to $1000 depending on the lawyer. You may want to google for an attorney and make calls.

Cases are never expunged for immigration purposes.

The OP still needs to list this on future applications.

Cases are never expunged for immigration purposes.

The OP still needs to list this on future applications.

You can expunge if it is a minor case. You can say you have done Masters and have a job and may face problem if you apply for a new job.

Archived