OPT or H1B--which is better for Visa Stamping (Postdoctoral student)

sm83

Dear Sir, I am currently a postdoctoral student in Northwestern University. I did my PhD in Princeton university. I am in the first year of my OPT from Princeton. I have an option of either obtaining a Northwestern university sponsored H1B for this year or to get my OPT further extended for 17 more months. The only problem is I am travelling to India and need to get a VISA stamp to come back into the country. I can get all the valid employment letters and funding related statements for my entry back from my university.

I know visa stamping while in OPT is slightly risky, and on the other hand in H1B I will loose two years of my 6 year limit just doing postdocs. In my case, given I have all the required documents for F1 OPT stamping, and that my university is willing to sponsor a H1B, what would be a better option to take. Your insights could be very helpful. I am having a tough time deciding on this. Thanks, Sri

Do you know the implication if your OPT F-1 entry is rejected? I'm not sure about this. My school once told that OPT stamping is not really risky, the only risk is when we go before we get the EAD card or after we have the EAD card but no job offer/job to come back to.

Also, not sure why you are concerned about H-1 B limit, I know that many universities file a Green Card petition for their employees and your employer might very well do the same!

I would say, go for the F-1 OPT stamping. Ask the DSO for a list of documents to take.

Archived