URGENT OPT ISSUE

directshoot

I'm a master student of UNC Charlotte. I have a case needing consultation.

I planned to graduate last August, and applied post-completion OPT. However, one of my courses didn't meet the GPA requirement so I have to postpone my graduation. After I knew that, I contacted ISSO for guidance. They said they would cancel the OPT for me. Therefore, I sent them the reference number of my application to the USCIS. It was September. After a week, they told me that the EAD card had been issued and asked me to send them the card after I got it. I trusted them so much and didn't expect the cancellation was very hard.

It was until last Christmas Day when I received my card. The USCIS delayed it for more than 3 months. I immediately sent the copy of the card to ISSO. Then the long waiting started. They submitted the cancellation request to USCIS for twice already and were all rejected. This week they did it for the third time but told me today that they didn't expect the result will be any difference.

I'm very worried about my situation right now. If OPT can't be cancelled, it will be effective since last December and I need to find a job before late March. Could you tell me what I should do about it?

No. I just trust the international student office too much. I didn't delay anything. I took action right after I knew I couldn't graduate and contacted the ISSO. But they just don't want to do anything for me.

Why do you think I'm lack of studying? I just tried to graduate ASAP. I don't want to postpone at all. But the professor didn't give me an A.

But the professor didn't give me an A.

And there is very likely a reason for it... An A requires that you get As in your homework and in the exams...

I was a TA for a while, I know how people try to do anything to claim that they "deserve" an A... I've seen quite a bunch of excuses...

The simple thing is, if you had done your homework and exams right, you would have gotten an A.

I didn't finish it b/c I took too many classes at a time.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. That's a known reason for getting an incomplete.

The failure is still yours, because part of the education is also figuring out how many classes to take.

You can't blame others for you thinking you could bite off more than you could chew. Graduate counselors usually advise against taking more than 4 classes in a quarter (the university I attended had the quarter system.)

Actual, at the school I know best, international students may not receive an incomplete because they would likely fall below the required number of hours. They are required to receive an F. If they later qualify for a change of grade - which has to be approved by a whole lot of people to prevent fraud - the grade can be changed. If it prevents graduation, so be it.

Archived