Opt extension Valid or Not If college is closed voluntarily

yash1234

Hi,

Currently am on OPT Extension and graduated from XXX University. My OPT expires in June 2014. My XXX University is planning to close voluntarily because of no students by end of this year or probably within few months. If this really happens what about my OPT status...?

I know that i will be out of danger if i apply for H1 this year. but,If my OPT extension doesn't terminate i want to apply H1 next year bcoz am not ready yet. So, Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in Advance for taking time to reply.

Thanks alot everyone for taking time to reply about my topic.

Surely it's a profitable university, My question is if college is closed... whether my OPT will be valid or not...? I knew that initial OPT is not valid but am on 17months extension OPT. So, Please let me know if any one has any idea about this.

Thank You

"Profitable" is not the issue - lack of students and accreditation are big ones.

I guess the OP meant "for profit." It still doesn't answer the question about accreditation, though.

There recently has been quite a lot of turbulence in the for-profit university area. One such company closed in Massachusetts recently, U of Phoenix is closing half of their locations, Kaplan is also doing bad...

From one article:

With profits on a sharp decline, University of Phoenix is doing what any publicly traded corporation would do—cutting its losses. Except the University of Phoenix is not just any company selling widgets and doodads. It’s the nation’s largest for-profit university, and it plans on closing 115 brick and mortar campuses, a move which the company’s owners estimate will affect some 13,000 students.

The news, announced Wednesday, comes on the heels of a dismal fourth quarter revenue report from the for-profit giant’s parent company, the Apollo Group. Revenue for that quarter dropped by 60 percent, the AP reported.

And from another article:

Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley has broadened her investigation into recruiting and lending practices at for-profit colleges and trade schools, which critics say leave students with mountains of student loan debt, but often do not lead to decent-paying jobs.

Coakley, who began examining a handful of schools two years ago, said she is now looking into whether more than a dozen institutions that do business in Massachusetts misled prospective students about the cost of course work, the odds they would graduate, or the likelihood they would find employment in their field of study.

Coakley named only one of the schools she is investigating, American Career Institute, which abruptly shut down its eight locations in Massachusetts and Maryland last month, leaving students stunned and uncertain about what to do next.

The Globe previously reported that three other educational companies said they had received letters requesting information from Coakley’s office about their operations in Massachusetts: the University of Phoenix, owned by Apollo Group in Phoenix; the Everest Institute campuses in Brighton and Chelsea, which are part of Corinthian Colleges Inc. of Santa Ana, Calif.; and Kaplan Career Institute, owned by the Washington Post Co..

Kaplan closed its Kenmore Square campus in Boston in December and said it will stop offering classes in Charlestown later this year, due to lack of demand. The school does not have any other campuses in Massachusetts.

Archived