H4 to F1 Visa Stamping in Canada

PREMALBH

Hello Friends,

I have a question about H4 to F1 Visa Stamping in Canada. My wife is currently enrolled as a Full time MBA student in Umass Dartmouth for the Spring 2013 semester. She is half way in completing her MBA degree.

She is currently on a H4 visa that expires in 1st week of April 2013. There is no further extension possible as I have maxed out on the 6 years of my H1B.

We are looking to convert her visa from H4 to F1 and therefore may need to go out of USA for visa stamping. I am looking for suggestions or advise on whether it is ok to go to Canada for F1 visa stamping or should I go to my home country (India) for stamping.

Looking forward to your help/suggestions.

Thank you.

PB

• 3 weeks later...

Ask the school DSO. they usually have accurate information.

My school said home country is the best option but Canada is Ok, since it is close to US. But other third-national countries like european countries etc may be problematic as they cannot accurately judge our situation.

Good Luck!

Please update us once your stamping is done :)

I just today met with international student services at the university where my daughter goes to school for her I-20 (we are doing a change in status from a H-4 visa to a F-1 visa). She goes to a major, top ranked, public university. They recommended that student's do their stamping in their home country instead of a 3rd country, including Canada.

Archived