OPT after a second Masters, is it possible?

sau_sarkar

Hi,

My question is surrounding OPT. I had graduated with a Masters degree from the US in 2009. I then applied for OPT. After 2 months of my OPT start date, I had to return to India due to a family emergency. I did not return to the US after that.

now, if I decide to go back to the US and pursue a second Masters ( in Business, MBA), can I apply for OPT again or can I avail of my earlier OPT?

Would appreciate an answer on this.

No -- you are not eligible for OPT for a second Masters degree. The immigration laws, regulations, and rules allow OPT once per degree level, and as soon as you were on OPT for 1 day it was used for Masters degrees. Also, OPT expires after 12 consecutive months from the start date or you are unemployed for 90 days There is no such thing as 'unused' OPT. (As the expression goes "use it or loss it".)

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I Studied a MBA 6 years ago and I applied for the OPT, I got the card but I didn't use it because I had to leave the country 1 month before the starting date, also I did not apply for the SNN.  Now I am finishing a second master degree in Engineering that falls within the Stem category, do you think I can get the approval?, Is there any other option to get the approval for the extension period of the stem?

thanks 

Archived