Expedite Green card for my siblings

Hello,

I am a service member, served both Iraq and Afghanistan. Currently I am getting out of the service because I am diagnosed with stress fractures in both legs, lumbar issues and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) which is common among combat veterans. The medical board said I cannot stay in because of my physical and mental health issues.

I am the only one who live in the United States. I don't want to get married until I get to a situation where I can feel relatively better. I applied for a green card for both my brother and sister in 2010. I was wondering if its possible to expedite at least one of their process, that way they can come stay with me to help me out.

I know my parents process will be lot faster but they have no intentions of coming down here as they cannot speak English and they don't want to leave the family. I can blame myself for this because I never told them about my deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. They are very sensitive.

I don't have any close friends who can come live with me. My brother is ready to move as he knows about all the stuff I had been going through.

So, Here are the open questions:

1. Can the primary sponsor (myself in this case) file the expedite request myself?

2. Will employing an attorney help in creating a strong case to appeal the expedite request? In other words, is it advisable to approach an attorney to do this?

3. In addition, to that I also read that reaching out to a local congressman will help. Does it? If yes, what is usually the procedure to approach the congressman?

4. How likely or unlikely is it that USCIS will even consider the appeal? This question is for the Murthy lawyers especially to see if this is even worth a shot? Or it's just money down the drain?

5. IF USCIS denies the expedite request, will this have any negative impact in the regular processing of the case?

Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

- David Hackworth

Thanks,

Screaming Eagle.

The best answer to your post is "yes" to question 2. -- consult with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney (probably one from a larger, reputable law firm that has worked with persons in a similar situation as yourself). Also, maybe(?) the VA has resources in this area that could help you.

Best of luck in your recovery and immigration efforts.. Thank you for your service.

To expand on my answer a bit, the only way to get somebody who falls into a quota here faster would be something like humanitarian parole. That, however, would only be possible if you had something like a really life-threatening disease.

As bad as it sounds, if you had suffered serious injuries during your tour, there would have be a better chance.

I value your service, and I am glad that you didn't get any more serious injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your concern and of course the guidance.

My condition is not life threatening. If it was, I would not want any of my family members to see me in that condition.

I will try to see if VA can help me with the guidance part. Wish you all a very good luck.

Are you aware of the military helpline at the USCIS? If not, you can find the link on the main page.

Also, look for one of the service groups (VFW, American Legion, DAV,...). My relative who is former military who helped people navigate the military health care system while on active duty (now 90% disabled) claims they are very helpful and is a member of several. They are more likely to be helpful than the VA which is overwhelmed by disability claims. Be sure to use all of the special services for vets if you return to school; many colleges are very vet friendly and have special assistance. Be sure to take advantage of services for the disabled in your area; even small towns have Vet Centers.

Does your brother have a skill that would qualify him for a work visa (H1B)? That is dual intent so your petition for him will not matter. Use your contacts to help him find a job.

Thanks for your service. Best wishes for your future from a military mom

Are you aware of the military helpline at the USCIS? If not, you can find the link on the main page.

Also, look for one of the service groups (VFW, American Legion, DAV,...). My relative who is former military who helped people navigate the military health care system while on active duty (now 90% disabled) claims they are very helpful and is a member of several. They are more likely to be helpful than the VA which is overwhelmed by disability claims. Be sure to use all of the special services for vets if you return to school; many colleges are very vet friendly and have special assistance. Be sure to take advantage of services for the disabled in your area; even small towns have Vet Centers.

Does your brother have a skill that would qualify him for a work visa (H1B)? That is dual intent so your petition for him will not matter. Use your contacts to help him find a job.

Thanks for your service. Best wishes for your future from a military mom

Mam,

Thanks a lot. It feels great when a military mom responds. My brother tried to me here in the states for re-deployment ceremony when we returned from Afghanistan last year. Unfortunately, the visiting visa got denied.

Wouldn't that be the same case if applied for the work visa? I just talked to my brother and he is not so confident about getting the

visa.

Is there not any other way to bring him here to live with me?

If there is no other way, I will look for help from the services you mentioned. Thanks again.

Archived