Greencard in process!

bhavesh10787

I was planning on applying for my Greencard through my employer. Currently I am on H1 visa and still unmarried..

Now here's my question:

- Say I apply for my GC, and my "petition" is approved what status do I go on?

- If I get married to a girl not from USA after my petition is approved (wait period of whatever days or months we have), with my H1 still valid, how do I manage to bring her here to USA?

Thanks..

I was planning on applying for my Greencard through my employer. Currently I am on H1 visa and still unmarried..

Now here's my question:

- Say I apply for my GC, and my "petition" is approved what status do I go on?

- If I get married to a girl not from USA after my petition is approved (wait period of whatever days or months we have), with my H1 still valid, how do I manage to bring her here to USA?

Thanks..

You said you are 'planning to' , means you still didn't start the GC process.

If your employer is filing under

EB-1 then time frame is few months

EB-2 or EB-3 then time frame is few years some time it might take decades.

If you fall under EB1 then everything should be good, but if you come under EB 2 or EB3 you cannot wait till you get your GC to get married. But mean while if you get married your spouse will be on H4 visa once she is in US.

You need a consultation with a good immigration lawyer who will explain the process to you in detail. $100 will do a lot of good for you. It can be any immigration lawer. Based on your skill set and nationality your timing to approval may vary from 3 months to 10 years, so generic advice may be completely misleading.

1. GC petition has three different, often consecutive, parts to it. You will be a permanent resident after the last one is approved.

2. Your H1 becomes invalid when you receive approval of your green card (AOS) petition.

Archived