Successful H1b at Chennai, two previous cases of 221g

usvisaprocess

H1b and H4 visa interview on 17th Jan 2013 at Chennai consulate.

Before proceeding to the actual visa interview building, an Indian guy collects all the necessary documents. Collected I797, I129, and LCA. He asked for “Letter to USCIS”. I did not carry that along with me. He specifically asked for the letter to USCIS couple of times.

At the interview counter, VO asked me the following;

· What do you do ?

· Which company do you work for ? (Looked up something in his computer and confirmed if the company is in Houston )

· What type of company ? (Oil and gas service company)

VO said our visas are approved. Did not care to look at any of the documents, he did not even open the documents (I797, I129, and LCA) collected by the Indian guy. Did not ask any questions to my wife for her H4.

Couple of guys ahead of me in the interview line were asked for “Letter to USCIS”. This is something new, I would say. This letter is just the cover letter that your attorney puts together for your H1b petition. Though I had this letter, I did not carry that along with me. I would suggest you to carry the entire H1b approval package that your company/attorney gives you.

Visa approval without delay is such a relief for me, as I had two previous cases of 221g in the past.

· First 221g: F1 visa renewal at Chennai Oct 2006, got cleared in two months.

· Second 221g: H1b visa at Ottawa Oct 2008, got cleared in two months.

I have PhD in Materials Engineering and that was the reason for 221g earlier.

Current H1b is for a different company and not the same one where I got 221g in Oct 2008.

Good luck to all of you.

Archived