H4 to F1 COS Supporting Documents

anilsubash

Hi Everybody,

My wife is on H4 and got an admission for MBA and started school this Jan. We are trying to apply for COS to F1. We got the I20 from the college by showing the amount from a loan and my bank statements. We are about to send the documents to USCIS, but I have few questions.

1. How do we show intent to return? Do we need to provide any bank statements from India. She has some properties in India, but on her fathers name - would that be sufficient (if needed at all).

2. We got a student loan from an US bank. would that have any impact on the decision?

2. If for some reason, her application gets rejected, would it have any impact on her current H4 visa.

I would really appreciate any response/suggestions

Thanks

We were in same boat. My went was in H4 visa status, she got admission in MBA. She had a valid H4 visa stamping in her passport. WE took chances and she travelled to Canada for F1 stamping, and it was a piece of cake for her. She got F1 stamping, and got new I94 with F1 status at POE.

We were likely sure that we would get a RFE if we submit a COS from H4 to F1, becos one of my friend's wife got RFE in the same situaiton.

If your wife has valid H4 visa in passport, then she can travel back on H4 visa if F1 visa is rejected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Everybody,

My wife is on H4 and got an admission for MBA and started school this Jan. We are trying to apply for COS to F1. We got the I20 from the college by showing the amount from a loan and my bank statements. We are about to send the documents to USCIS, but I have few questions.

1. How do we show intent to return? Do we need to provide any bank statements from India. She has some properties in India, but on her fathers name - would that be sufficient (if needed at all).

2. We got a student loan from an US bank. would that have any impact on the decision?

2. If for some reason, her application gets rejected, would it have any impact on her current H4 visa.

I would really appreciate any response/suggestions

Thanks

Hi anilsubash,

Even I have the same concern... What did you do to show financial support ? Did she show her indian bank statement or her dad's property ?? Pls let me know soon

Thanks

We did COS from F2 to F1 few months back. We showed the bank statements from India, US bank statements, Indian bonds/savings, land documents etc. In short, we showed all the property both liquid assets (savings, bonds, certificates, gold etc.) and immovable assets (agricultural land, plots etc.). We got the affidavits of support from my parents, my spouse's parents. We also wrote a support letter indicating our future plans i.e. get done with studies and leave and blah blah blah.

Archived