H1-B visa interview experience

sreenu539

Documents that taken by me :

In a Folder :

section 1 --> mark sheets & degrees

section 2 --> H1-B petition from employer, I9

section 3 --> w2 and tax returns

sction 4 --> leave approval mail, client letter,organization chart

section 5 --> offer letter, employee verification letter, resume, employment agreement

section 6 --> ssn,emp cards,opt cards,i94, i20,

section 7 --> bank statements

section 8 --> paystubs

Section 9 --> project document and project sow/agreement between client and employer document

Section 10 --> university transcripts and letters

In an envelope:-

I797 original

passport

DS 160 appointment letter

confirmation letter

Process at calgary:

1. embassy is inside a big building, line forms inside the building and outside embassy first check point room.
  2. they call four people at a time (Electronic devices,CDs are not allowed and there is no place to store them, so please make sure if anybody is there who can hold the things for you or just do not take any electronic things)
  3. Have DS 160 kept out, as security guard will make sure you have an appointment by cross checking DS 160 barcode number.
  4. they will check everything, your document folders too and any envelope which is closed. (They asked me to open a trascript document which is in closed envelope, other envelopes)
  5. 1797, passport, i-129 documents will be compiled and given back to you. (You should handle this later to a person in the actual interview room).
  6. security guard will take group of people in an elevator to the floor in whcih the actual interview takes place.
  7. before entering interview room, SCAN procedure will be done by security and given a ticket.
  8. Inside the interview room, you will be seated and your ticket number will pop up with window number (they did not call the number)
  9. You go over to the specific window and hand over the documents compiled earlier.
  10. Again ticket number will pop up with a specific window number for finger printing.

Now : you will be called for the actual interview by another VO.

my interview :

me: Good morning officer (while keeping the documents aside completely )

VO:did not say anything

VO:after looking at the computer screen several times, xxxxx is your emplyer ?

me: Yes Sir

VO:you got your H1-B in xxxx year

me:Yes sir

VO: Do not call me officer/sir

me:empty face

VO:How did you hear about this employer/company

me: I heard through my friends, they told me it is a good company as it has variety platforms like SAP, Oracle, SalesForce, Java.

VO:Where did you work ?

me: I started saying about from my first client to present client (location and company name) and he got confused.

VO:where you working at present ?

me: told the present client name and location

VO:checked the documents , I-797 and other documents that he has.

VO:same employer ? (never changed employer ?)

me: Yes

VO:any gaps while working ? (not sure what he meant by gaps )

me:I continuously engaged in projects all the time

VO:Does your employer prepared you what questions I would be asking or what would you need to answer?

me: No, my employer provided tax documents, all the other documents needed for visa process and told me to be honest with the answers I give

VO:your visa is approved and pick your visa in 2 to 3 days

me: Thank you very much

--- VO did not ask me single document, apart from the documents compiled and given (look at step 5), waiting for the actual approval on the website ----

Observances:

Visa Office people asked several times, whether the picture on DS 160 is latest or not ?

Visa Officer was really drilling everybody.

Looking at the computer screen, documents several times

If people have changed multiple employers, please prepare well in advance. Every case is different so prepare well expecting what questions could be posed by VO.

Asked questions to other people, some heard, some discussed with other people after the interview :

Why did you change employer?

How does your employer changing process went seam lessly?

How come no gaps when changing employer?

How many clients you worked on?

Why there is no "unemployment tax" in your tax paystubs?

Why did you change your university from xxxxxx to xxxxx ?

VO:Who told you about this other university?

interviewee: I came through online

VO: you don't know any friends ?

interviewee: i came to know through friends and I researched on my own in online too

VO: why don't you say, you came to know through your friends.

interviewee: put the hands on the file

VO: No need of it .... somthing like that

VO:Are there any gaps while employed?

interviewee: No, I am never on bench ... somthing like that

VO: I know what bench means and I was not asking that, why did you think I am asking about that ?

Does your employer prepared you like that / said like that ?

interviewee: I am not sure what does the gap means ?

bottomline:

VO really drilled the people like anything.

from my point of view : Be confident, loud, clear and show some common sense while answering.

I have a question for you? Have you done Masters from US?

I am thinking for Ottawa for my H1B Extention stamping , But I have done all my education from India. Is it good to go to Canadian US consulate for H1B stamping for people who do not Degree from US?

Yes I do have higher education degree from USA.

It depends, based on it is your first time or second time H1-B stamping and I recomment you to directly send an email to ottawa USA embassy to get the correct answer. (I did send an email to embassy and got answers for my questions and took that copy of email to visa interview too) Embassy staff will respond in coupld of business days.

Archived