Green Card to foreign students

swatiaggarwal

Hello All,

I heard that there is a petition going on to white house obama administration to give green card to the students who have masters or phd degree from USA universities. At the very least we can sign the petition and get our voices heard.

Most of the people don't care to sign such petitions but actually it does make a difference. I beg you to please sign this petition and make a difference: I am writing the link in this format because it doesn't get published otherwise:

worldwideweb(www) dot WH dot gov slash (/) Vr3B

Thanks.

Swati

Why would you think that you should have any input into US laws? You have no standing. US politicians care about voters - not guests who can do nothing for them (cynical but true). US immigration laws are to benefit the US and not people who want to move here.

Many petitions require that a signer be a registered voter (IE a US citizen). You need to be VERY careful about doing anything where you hold yourself out as a US citizen; they will get you PERMANENTLY banned from the US.

If you want to do something, petition your own government to make your home country so great that USC will want to immigrate there.

I don't waste my time reading petitions that can do little.

I find major unintended consequences possible with this plan. Those of you supporting this plan should realize that in many of the STEM fields there are - according to objective US government statistics and not self serving companies looking to reduce labor costs - already more graduates than openings. A GC is not an opening for the big names; they do not even interview at the majority of the universities in the US which is the best way for a USC and GC new grad to find a job. The consultancies will still prefer H-1Bs due to the inflexibility of the employee to move easily between employers. Once you have a GC and experience, you will have the same problems that older USCs now have competing salarywise with new grads - and the increased number of H-1Bs. The salaries will drop due to oversupply of applicants. The current unemployment rate in tech fields is now twice the historical one and it will increase dramatically; I would not be surprised to see it 3 or 4 or 5 times what it is now based on the projected replacement jobs needs provided by the official statistics. I expect that in many areas will be like physics is now where there has been reports of hundreds of applications for a single opening. Studies by responsible, respected academics as well as the government numbers disprove the myth of too few STEM job candidates in many fields. I remember several years ago that my husband reviewed resumes of over 150 applicants for a single entry level position; people with experience were not even considered seriously due to their additional salary expectations and the desire to "grow their own". Businesses want cheap workers; creating an oversupply is one way to send salaries to the basement. During the worst of the tech bust, the going rate for programming for small to -mid sized businesses in my area was $8/hr. because so many local tech employers had downsized or closed; grocery store checkers made more. Many computer jobs do not require advanced degrees and can be filled with tech school graduates. Jobs that now have H-1Bs at low scale will not fill the jobs with GCs with higher salary demands when an H-1B or tech grad will work for less. Be careful what you wish for. The current system insures that GC receipients have a good chance of having a job because they have met high standards and have needed skills. There is no protection under the proposal. Expect a bunch of new fraudulent schools to open to give out worthless masters degrees; therse grads will be competing with you. I have yet to see a proposal for employment based immigration that considers either the numbers or the effects of massive numbers of new GC holders in just a few fields - which happen to be going offshore to further exacerbate the supply-demand imbalance. I suspect many will find more and better opportunities in their native country than in the US - which be the way, would not be open to USCs. Rest assured that the only ones coming out ahead with this proposal are the big campaign donors (I am a cynic in my old age based on many years of watching US politics and policies). Again, be careful of what you wish for; it may benefit you in the short term but will be devastating over time. There need to be changes, but I have yet to see a plan that I believe is fair in the short term and in the best interest of the US and its workers long term based on the numbers. I challenge you to look at the numbers before you jump headfirst with both feet into support for any proposal. Look at what it means to you in 20 or 30 years and for your children.

As a USC I contact my congressional representatives to voice my opinion as they are the one who will vote on legislation.

I want to caution everyone again to be very careful about doing anything that can be construed as holding oneself out to be a USC if you are not. It is a fatal error for most immigration processing - including marriage to a USC which is almost a guaranteed GC. While all will listen to anyone, some may act on requests; but, their responsibility is to the USA and what is best for it and not necessarily the citizens of another country. Not all take this charge as seriously as others (mine fortunately do put USCs first). Before you contribute to a campaign in order to try to influence a government official, be sure you are aware of campaign finance laws prohibiting contributions from foreign nationals to most entities soliciting campaign funds.

To t75:

"Why would you think that you should have any input into US laws? You have no standing. US politicians care about voters - not guests who can do nothing for them (cynical but true). US immigration laws are to benefit the US and not people who want to move here."

S.A- I dont see how over 11 million illegal immigrants and broken immigration system/laws is helping USA in anyway

"Many petitions require that a signer be a registered voter (IE a US citizen). You need to be VERY careful about doing anything where you hold yourself out as a US citizen; they will get you PERMANENTLY banned from the US"

S.A- If you have hard time reading i can translate what i wrote above- It means that somebody started a petition and lets support them. Moreover don't try to be over smart. You cannot judge anyone. How in the world do you have any clue that who so ever started the petition is not a citizen"

If you want to do something, petition your own government to make your home country so great that USC will want to immigrate there.

SA- Nobody asked ur opinion. So better dont stick your nose in everybody else's business. Moreover if you are still living in the past- then go to whitehouse website and see Obama's speech yesterday about immigration reform.

Even the president is supporting the immigration reform ideas what are in the petition then who in the world can say all that you said above.

I find major unintended consequences possible with this plan. Those of you supporting this plan should realize that in many of the STEM fields there are - according to objective US government statistics and not self serving companies looking to reduce labor costs - already more graduates than openings. A GC is not an opening for the big names; they do not even interview at the majority of the universities in the US which is the best way for a USC and GC new grad to find a job. The consultancies will still prefer H-1Bs due to the inflexibility of the employee to move easily between employers. Once you have a GC and experience, you will have the same problems that older USCs now have competing salarywise with new grads - and the increased number of H-1Bs. The salaries will drop due to oversupply of applicants.

I am glad that someone is thinking just like me. Initially I thought I was wrong, but now I can say that I am thinking correctly.

Archived