H4 to F1 - no supportive documents from h1 wife.

vinod.praveen

@Webmaster: Sorry I already posted this in h1b-h4 category, I think the student visas catergory seems more appropriate and I can't seem to delete the old one.

Hi,

I am in need of some guidance for my H4 to F1 transfer. My situation is not very trivial, so I could not find the answer from other topics posted here, I am hoping to get some help here.

I am currently in H4 visa(residing in the US) & would like to pursue masters degree in F1 for Fall 2013. My wife, who is in H1B is not cooperative about this and is not willing to provide any H1 documentation or financial support for my studies. I have following questions regarding this.

1) Can I apply for US universities for MS without any documentation from my wife? ( I have a valid H4 visa till the end of this year).

2) Would the universites that I am applying require H1 documents of my wife(eg. employment verification, pay stubs, etc.) ?

3) Would the universities treat me as an international student because I am going to apply for F1 admission? This is important because, the deadlines for international & domestic students are significantly different.

3) Primary sposor for my education would be someone else other than my wife(I researched about this and it seems that should not be a problem), can you please confirm?

4) At what point in the process should I apply for a H4 to F1 transfer? Basically, I am concerned about the documentation that would be required from my wife during the h4 to f1 transfer, since she isn't going to provide me any documentation for this.

I would highly appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks a lot in advance.

You can certainly apply but must prove that you can pay for your education. As a F-1 student, you would pay international student tuition and fees and abide by those rules.

It sounds like this was a marriage to come to the US; you should consider a divorce.

Archived