H1B - OLD and NEW I - 797

nag123

hi ,

can anybody know how to proceed with the below situation.

My current H1B I-797 is valid through April 2013 and my new 797 got approved and extended till April 2014 and the new 797 is valid from April 2013 to April 2014.

If i visit us consulate Ottawa for visa stamping, can i get the visa from current time through April 2014 or not.and what EAC number i need to enter in DS160. and what 797 i need to carry for visa stamping, is that new 797 or OLD or both.

Please advise, Greatly appreciate your help on this.

Hi Nag, Mine was in same situation , I have 797 till apr 2013 and extension is approved from apr 2013 to apr 2015 . I have filled new 797 in DS160 and appointment letter also, today I have attended the interview at toronto and went good. They took my new 797 only and did not ask for the current petition. hope will get the start date from current date and end date will be extension petition expiry date.

@Madhuvarma....

Hi,

I have the same situation as you have... booked my appointment in feb-2013 with my old i-797 and submitted the DS-160 form too.. Suddenly i was laid off from pjt because of cost cutting.... I filed for new H-1 ammendment with my new client in this month... What can i do now.. so tht i can go to the interview in the Feb on the same day what i booked my appointment...

Do i need to cancel the appointment... I am really in confusion state.. Please guide me... I will be receiving my new EAC number later in this week... I applied for premium processing..

@Narashima,

I was in the same boat as you are but changed my client in Nov and got my ammendment approved on Jan 8th 2013..

Finished my appointment 23Jan and got stamping done. I had booked my appointment using my old I-797. When subbmiting my passport the officer (not the VO who approves your passpost)asked me my I797 form and checking the file on the system she asked me why my i797 in ds 160 was different. I told her that is my old i-797 number and I had filed for ammendment and did not update DS160. she took my documents and gave me token for Fingureprinting and the VO did not ask any thing related my I-797 or client change. he asked me about all my previous employers.. and my pay. and current client and job role.

@Murthy...

You don't need to cancel the appointment , you can update the petition number and other details once your H-1 ammendment is received. I have done same thing , I have applied for the extension but took the appointment with the current petition and updated the petition details later once I received the approval.

@karthik19 and @madhuvarma... thanks for your suggestion guys.. I wish to get my new h-1 ammendment approval by next week so that i can update the petition number and DS-160 application number in csc website... what other mentioned and go to appointment on same date...

Can you guys let me know your email id's if there is something else so tht i can reach you...

Once again thanks a lot guys for your help ...

@ Madhuvarma-

Can you please confirm the duration of the stamping? Did they club both the duration in the visa?

I am also in the same situation with two approved petitions (I-797). Current petition validity will expire on 29th April 2013 and new petition validity stats from 30th April -- 20th April 2015. I have filled new I-797 in DS-160 and submitted. Will this be Ok? I am return on March 2013 before the first petition validity is over. Will they club both my petitions and give the stamping? Please confirm.

@ madhuvarma - Did you have a previous H1b visa approved till April 2013.

In my case i did not go for H1b stamp and have an new approved 1-797 starting April '13 -April '14 . If i go for stamping will i get it the visa validity from now till the end of my new i797 (april'14) or the visa is only valid starting April'13- april '14.

what happened in your case .. Please share

Thanks in Advance.

@ madhuvarma - Did you have a previous H1b visa stamped till April 2013. In my case i did not go for H1b stamp and have an new approved 1-797 starting April '13 -April '14 . If i go for stamping will i get it the visa validity from now till the end of my new i797 (april'14) or the visa is only valid starting April'13- april '14. what happened in your case .. Please share Thanks in Advance.
  • 2 months later...

Hi Nag, Mine was in same situation , I have 797 till apr 2013 and extension is approved from apr 2013 to apr 2015 . I have filled new 797 in DS160 and appointment letter also, today I have attended the interview at toronto and went good. They took my new 797 only and did not ask for the current petition. hope will get the start date from current date and end date will be extension petition expiry date.

Madhuvarma- What date did you get on your Visa issue date? The date you got your Visa approved or the new I 797 start date. I am in the sameboat and worried for my H1B and my wife's H4 as my new I 797 starts on August 2013.

Archived