Changing jobs during the permanent residency process

silkroute

Hello all,

I am currently on a three year H1B visa and have successfully completed the PERM process. I am told that I need to file the i-140 in the next four months to continue the process of permanent residency.

I would be grateful if someone helped me with these questions:

1) How long does the I-140 take to process?

2) Meanwhile due to various factors I am looking for a new position at another company which I can begin at the earliest only in Aug 2014. By then presumably I would had already started the I-485 process under my current employer. In a situation that I start the new job in Aug 2014 and the I-485 process is already underway will I have to start the PERM process, I-140 and I-485 processes ***all over again***? Or can I continue from where the I-485 would be when I leave this job? In June 2014 I would be just finishing my third year of the current H1B visa.

I would like to know what are the potential problems that I could encounter with this plan. At the moment I cannot leave the current job immediately due to the clauses of my job contract. So the earliest I can think of moving out is only Aug 2014. Any advice on my scenario would be greatly welcomed.

Regards,

SR

Thank you Mr. Omshiv for your reply. What takes more time for approval: the I-140 or I-485?

Please let me know if I understand you correctly here: if I have the PERM approval *and* the I-140 approved and *then change* my current job my permanent residency process with resume from the I-485 stage with the priority date given to me. Is that correct?

Regards,

SR

Archived