H1 B Visa, Passport expiration question

7years

Hello All,

Here is my siutation

My passport expires April 2014

My H1B visa expires sept 2013

I am planning to go for visa some time in April or May 2013. Mine is EVC model. It has been 7 years I have not moved from States. I have few questions. It would be appreciated if some-one answers as early as possible.

1) Is it better to go now or wait till I get my H1B extension ?

2) Currently , I have Canada visa valid til April 2014. How will this be carried over to my new passport if i apply for renewal some time in May 2013 ?

3) What are my chances of getting visa approval?

4) My employer filled GC, current status of my GC is I-140 approved. My current date is March 2012.Do i need to apply for amendement if I go now for visa as current client location is different from what it is when H1B first extension was filled?

5) Is it better to go after my passport renewal and extension of H1B visa?

Thanks,

7 years

1) Is it better to go now or wait till I get my H1B extension ?

- Passport renewal does not have anything to do with H1B extension and vice versa.

2) Currently , I have Canada visa valid til April 2014. How will this be carried over to my new passport if i apply for renewal some time in May 2013?

- If you're Indian citizen then In new passport there should be a stamp mentioning "this passport has been cancelled and all visas in this passport are valid. New passport Number: xxxxxxx"

3) What are my chances of getting visa approval?

- Nobody can give you answer on this.

4) My employer filled GC, current status of my GC is I-140 approved. My current date is March 2012.Do i need to apply for amendement if I go now for visa as current client location is different from what it is when H1B first extension was filled?

- ask attorney for proper answer.

5) Is it better to go after my passport renewal and extension of H1B visa?

- If I would have at your place, I would get new passport in premium processing & then go for stamping.

#2, in general, as far as I know, you don't have to be worried about valid visas on your expired passport. They still remain to be valid even if you get your new (renewed) passport and old one gets canceled. So, there is nothing to be worried about that. All you need to do is to carry both passports whenever you travel.

Hope this answers #2

Archived