F-1 OPT eligibility

ajay4re

Hi,

I have one query related to OPT eligibility.

I came to US on H4 Visa, and registered for MS in Fall 2012 as full time student. After that I have applied for change of status to F-1 and got it approved on Nov -29 , 2012.

When will I be eligible to get OPT if I complete all credits by Summer -2013?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have one query related to OPT eligibility.

I came to US on H4 Visa, and registered for MS in Fall 2012 as full time student. After that I have applied for change of status to F-1 and got it approved on Nov -29 , 2012.

When will I be eligible to get OPT if I complete all credits by Summer -2013?

Thanks.

The requirement for OPT is that you complete your studies. If you complete your studies in Summer 2013, then you should not have any problem obtaining an I-20. Discussing this with DSO would be a wise thing to do.

Is it CPT?

No, it is for OPT employment authorization prior to completion of a degree. It is for things like summer internships and after finishing course work but still working on research and/or a thesis. It is important to note that all OPT regulations and rules apply, including the total time of 12 months.

• 2 weeks later...

As per DSO, I need to be in F-1 status for one full academic year.

Its depends on college. I read some blogs about this. Its not mandatory to be in F-1 Visa to get eligible for OPT. You should be enrolled as full time student for one full academic year and present Visa status should be F-1 and most importanant thing is its also depends on college.

Its depends on college. I read some blogs about this. Its not mandatory to be in F-1 Visa to get eligible for OPT. You should be enrolled as full time student for one full academic year and present Visa status should be F-1 and most importanant thing is its also depends on college.

"In order to get eligible for OPT, student has to be enrolled as full time student for one full academic year". That's one of the F1 rules.

All the schools has to follow it and their is nothing called "it depends on college" because rules are same for ALL schools.

"In order to get eligible for OPT, student has to be enrolled as full time student for one full academic year". That's one of the F1 rules.

All the schools has to follow it and their is nothing called "it depends on college" because rules are same for ALL schools.

Schools are free to enforce stricter rules. Some schools have the stricter requirement of the person being in F1 status for the whole previous year.

Archived