Valid H1b till Nov 2014, New Employer. Need stamping in India or not?

kingtut86

Hi,

I want to explain my case in a bit of detail. I was with company X untill Nov 2012. I had my H1b processed through them which is valid till Nov 2014. I also got my stamp in Jan 2012, when I was in India.

I moved to a new company Y in November 2012. What happended was, even though I had submitted all my documents almost 2 weeks before my resignation from X, due to hurricane Sandy on the east cost, my processing got delayed. I had become out of status for a while. I was issued with a I 797 B. I have already travelled to a Carribean island and came back with a new I94, and resumed work with my new employer.

I am going to India in Feb 2013 on vacation. My questions is: do I need to get a new stamping since I moved to a new employer. I understand that in normal circumstances it is not required. But since I am on I797 B and had go through the consular processing route of getting a new I94 from a Carribean island; I want to confirm if I need stamping.

Thanks for the help!

--Krishna

until when is your visa stamp valid. if its valid later on than your vacation dates (even if you change employers), you dont have to bother, if its before than you need to go to stamping.

during Sandy, they gave some grace period for the immigration people... its avaiable on thier website. they gave 7 day grace period and you will not be out of status if you have submitted the docs with in 7 day. actually its not big issue for those during that period.

Archived