H4 - F1 CPT Eligibility ?

MikuIyer

Hello Everyone,

I did Masters first sem (started Fall 2012) on H4 status.

Applied for COS to F1 and I got my F1 approval from USCIS by Dec 1st week,2012.

i.e before the completion of semester, I got F1 approval notice.

My question is - Am I eligible to apply for internship(CPT) during summer'2013 ?

I read many posts which left me totally confused.

Is there a rule to be on F1 for two semesters to apply for CPT ?

Or is it school specific ?

Please help !

Thank you.

Hi Iyer,

CPT is completely school specific and depends on your curriculum, and most importantly your advisor. If he or she approves your CPT, and your college permits CPT you can go for it. It is typical, most colleges approves CPT after 2nd semester because you will have enough academic knowledge before getting into market!!

CPT has to be part of the established curriculum, and not just the advisor's approval, and because of notable abuse is often suspect. For employment between semesters while on a F-1 visa you can work up to 40 hours a week on-campus or (as JoeF posted) in your field on pre-completion OPT.

JoeF really hates any questions regarding CPT :)

I just know the rules...

Real, legitimate CPT is very rare, and tied to the curriculum.

And for internships during summer recess, it does not apply. That's what pre-completion OPT is for.

Again, real, legitimate CPT is very rare. That's why CPT is dead for 99% of all situations. And that's why people need to forget the acronym. For the very few legitimate CPT cases, the school's registrar will work with them., and these people don't ask questions about it on forums like this.

I just know the rules...

Real, legitimate CPT is very rare, and tied to the curriculum.

And for internships during summer recess, it does not apply. That's what pre-completion OPT is for.

Again, real, legitimate CPT is very rare. That's why CPT is dead for 99% of all situations. And that's why people need to forget the acronym. For the very few legitimate CPT cases, the school's registrar will work with them., and these people don't ask questions about it on forums like this.

agree JoeF! I think almost all the CPT cases on this forum are from dip mills. I dont think CPT is dead for 99% of students. Many univ's like WVU,UH etc which are good do offer CPT. I am not sure what precompletion OPT is. When you are left only with your thesis you can work and they call it CPT - atleast used to like 4 years ago.

but i agree that CPT will die slowly because of the negative use of it by the dip mills.

agree JoeF! I think almost all the CPT cases on this forum are from dip mills. I dont think CPT is dead for 99% of students. Many univ's like WVU,UH etc which are good do offer CPT. I am not sure what precompletion OPT is.

Just like normal OPT. You apply for it and get an EAD. That is standard stuff for summer internships. That's what my friends use at the University of California.

When you are left only with your thesis you can work and they call it CPT - atleast used to like 4 years ago.

That was before TVU. After TVU, legitimate universities have become very very careful, and lots of university officers have stated in the forums on the Chronicle of Higher Education website and elsewhere that they have stopped issuing CPT altogether.

Hence my assertion that TVU essentially killed CPT.

Archived