Travel to India during OPT STEM Extension Processing

tanmayee

Hi,

I am on F1 visa. I have graduated in December 2012 and currently doing my full time on OPT status. I am doing my full time and it is not a consulting job.

My OPT is expiring on May 31st and I will be applying for my OPT STEM Extension in March. I can start my application process only in March as I will be receiving my Diploma certificate in March.

I have two questions regarding this processing of OPT STEM extension. I have got to know that it is not safe to travel to India without receiving the new OPT EAD Card after the old EAD card expires. But the other questions I had are:

(1) Is it safe to travel to India with the old EAD card after applying for my STEM Extension in March, i.e., during the processing of my STEM extension is in progress (like in March and April) ?

(2) Or is it safe to travel exactly one month before my OPT expires like in the beginning of May ?

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Tanmayee

Thanks a lot. I have a valid OPT till May 31st and I need to travel to India in May itself but I can make sure I come back before May 31st. So would that not be a problem as it is during the last few days of my OPT ? Also, by that time I will not receive my OPT extension card as it would take time for processing and I would receive it only after May. But I will still have my first OPT card in hand which is still not expired.

Archived