DUI and OPT Extension or H1B - Need Help

playe27

Hello,

I got 1st DUI last night with 0.12 Alcohol content.

Hopefully will go for DUI Diversion program for 1 year.

I have few questions to ask.

As I'll go for DUI Diversion program, Court will held my case for 1 year.

1. Will it affect my OPT - Extension procedure, Because my OPT will expire this May. So i need to apply by March or May for extension and they will do background check and all things. And my pending case will reflect in check.

Or

2. Should I go for H1B process this April ?

Please help me with these question, and suggest me which 1 is good option to go with, I'm finding lot of difficulties with theis situation.

I'm thinking to go for OPT extension because by next year my DUI will go off if I successfully completed the Diversion program.

Then applying for H1B is good option with no DUI charges, correct me If I'm wrong.

Please help me guyz, Very Imp here !!

Your DUI will only go out of records when you expunge your records (if you state allows). Even if your case is expunged, it will still pop up in all immigration related cases.

Your OPT extension or H1b application shouldnt get affected due to your DUI case pending. However, your H1b stamping has to go through medical screening and psych evaluation (must 221g) if you go for stamping in next three years. One thing you MUST remember is to: Check 'YES' for all your immigration paper work from now on ( I believe you were arrested for this DUI) and you should never lie to any immigration officer (infact to any federal or state officer). It is highly recommended to save all your paper work from now on including court records, arrest records, any other police reports and attorney records. These are MUST for visa stamping. Just to give you headsup: You will be asked whether you have been arrested before question in 1) DS 160, 2) Some job applications 3) I-485 ..Do not lie.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I recently got arrested for DUI and im on my opt. Currently i m looking for a job on my opt as im off the previous project.

My court date is yet to come and i am worried whether i can get a job when my case is still pending(with dui and suspended license). I have to apply for my opt extension as well in this year. Please let me know the possibilities of getting the job when the case is still pending. 

Please please some do reply to my questions. I am really in a big trouble. Your answer would atleast revive me a little bit. 

Archived