H1B-Extension Visa Stamping at Canada (Urgent!)

sharks

Hello

I am travelling to India for wedding and then to Japan. I have H1B extension approved but current visa expires on dec 31, 2012. Japan consulate said they cannot give tourist visa at NY since my visa expired. They advise me to go to canada or other countries to get stamping and then apply for Japan Visa.

I have three weeks!

1) Can I apply for canadian visa with expired H1B visa? If I say, I am going to VISA stamping and if I show approval of extension, will they provide me visa?

2) I have been working with Same employer since my first H1B. I have Master's in Mechanical and working with engineering industry. All supporting documents are good. Is it ok to go Canada for VISA stamping?

3) If anybody know the available slots for visa interview at Ottawa?

4) Is there any other county people go for stamping (Mexico, carribien?)

YOUR quick answer is appreciated.

You have to apply for Canadian Visa and if you have approved H1B extension then it should be fine. I'm not sure about Canadian Visa in mail but if you apply @ NY Canadian Consulate you will get your visa & passport much faster.

US appointment dates will not show up until you sign into CSC website and pay $190 fees. I suggest book the first date available and keep on checking for earlier one. If you have same employer and all paperwork is OK then I don't expect any problem in US Visa, but it will take 3-4 days to get the passport back.

Good Luck.

Hello My friend,

If i understand your situation correctly, your first H1b visa expires on dec 31st 2012, and you have your extension approved. f

1) Yes, you can apply for canada visa with expired H1b visa, send them the copy of approved H1b extension (797 form). Your canada visa will be approved based on your h1b extension period. Get a multiple entry canada visitor visa.

2) Yes, your scenario is okay to go to canada for stamping. Chances are 50/50 if you got to ottawa, since your visa approval is dependent on your employer history.

3) No, you may have to check ottawa us consulate

4) There are few people who visited mexico , your visa approval is totally based off your paperwork , employer, luck etc...

Canadian visa processing usually takes 3-5 business days in person or 4 weeks in mail. So, you would have to wait until you receive the canada visiting visa, meanwhile you get the visa appointment date.

Its little hard to get date in next couple of weeks unless you are extremely lucky.

sharks,

• Yes, you can get a Canadian Visitor Visa if you show the proof of extension (I-797). I just got mine few weeks ago, same scenario. Applied at New York Canadian Consulate, took 2 days to get back.
  • You are better than many others, but there are no guarantees. In general, I think you have a pretty good chance. I think the risk is not about rejection, but of getting a 221g, which could delay things.
  • As of right now, the next available appointments in Ottawa are on Jan 29, 31st, Feb 4,5,6,7..
  • People also go to Mexico, but I have never been there myself so cannot say too much about it.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

sharks,

• Yes, you can get a Canadian Visitor Visa if you show the proof of extension (I-797). I just got mine few weeks ago, same scenario. Applied at New York Canadian Consulate, took 2 days to get back.
  • You are better than many others, but there are no guarantees. In general, I think you have a pretty good chance. I think the risk is not about rejection, but of getting a 221g, which could delay things.
  • As of right now, the next available appointments in Ottawa are on Jan 29, 31st, Feb 4,5,6,7..
  • People also go to Mexico, but I have never been there myself so cannot say too much about it.

Hope this helps.

Have you gone to NY consulate in person , if go in person how much time it will take to get tourist visa for Canada

Archived