L1-B Extension Rejected

GK_seekingadvise

My petition for extension of L1B visa was denied on 12/12. The reason sited was that my position (as defined in my petition) was a managerial position and not a position that requires specialized knowledge (I had been promoted to a manager since I first got my L1B). What are my options now? I am from Sweden. Should I go back and apply for a L1-A? What are the chances of L1-A getting approved given that L1-B was denied? Should I apply for an H1B instead?

My initial read is that since the lawyers filed under a position with the specialized knowledge (L1B) while they should have filed under the managerial positions (L1A), filing a new petition for L1A should solve the issue. But want to get your opinion. Thank you very much.

If the position is managerial, than yes, typically an L1A could be filed. However, if a person's petition is denied and his/her I-94 is expired, the individual is likely out of status and accumulating unlawful presence. In those circumstances, the foreign national would generally need to leave the U.S., apply for a new L-1 visa (once the petition has been approved) and then return in L1A status.

For future reference, before moving into a new position, a person in L-1 status must generally first file an amended petition with USCIS.

Archived