I-140 Approved EB2. Can I leave the country?

praveen2782

Hello -

Please advise on this..anyone.

My priority date is Jan 5th 2011, I-140 was approved on April 29th 2011. I have opted for AOS when the PD become current.

Question - Can I leave the country now that the I-140 is approved & work in India with a different company? I have to leave for personal family reasons. My Employer in the US is willing to not revoke my I-140. If he keeps my I-140 active can I go for an Consular processing when the PD become current?

What is expected of my employer to keep this GC process going, in my absence here in the US? Please advise.

AOS is only possible if the person is in the US in valid status.

If a person is outside the US, only Consular Processing (CP) is possible.

If the person is abroad, CIS should forward the approved I-140 to the National Visa Center (NVC), which would then contact the person when the PD is about to become current. It would be a good idea to have the I-140 amended for CP if the person wishes to go abroad for a while. I suggest discussing this with your lawyer.

Thanks guys!

This is indeed a puzzling situation, now that the I-140 is approved under EB2. I have been planning for quite sometime to get on move out of the US work & stay with my parents for a few years back home. Has anybody been in this situation before? I'm sure there are cases where people stay out if US for a while. anyone ? please share your experiences..if you can that! :D

Archived