Visa Stamping done @ Mumbai without amendment

rgbalgi@gmail.com

Hello All,

I went for H1B stamping at the Mumbai location of American Consulate two days back and would like to share my experience with all.

My employer forgot to file amendment for me after I changed my client. I am on EVC model and had client and vendor letters.

1st day of appointment

The day before the stamping, we have to go for biometric information submission to trade center in BKC. It is near MTNL and rickshaw wallas know it. So ask them.

I didn’t submit any docs when I went for my stamping or fingerprinting but during my interview I was asked for lot of supporting docs so make sure you carry them all.

Make 2 copies of passport (photo & address), 2 copies of petition and 1 copy each of ds160 confirmation page & appointment page.

pls read the following carefully

While filling DS 160, please remember your name should be as per your passport. In the DS160 form, the surname should be the last name in your passport and given names should as per your passport entry. Crosscheck your passport. If it is not the same, then the verification team sends you back to correct it.

I had not added my dad's name in my Given name but I rectified my mistake before I went for biometric so I saved lot of time.

Taking photocopies and printouts is lot of time consuming and is very expensive since nothing is close by the American Consulate.

My friend spent INR 240 for just half hour of internet usage and a single copy of printout of DS160.

2nd day of appointment.

I had my interview time of 7.45am but it started at 9.15am. The VO was taking at least 10 mins for each candidate. My interview lasted for about 13-15 mins.

Following are the questions asked by VO.

1) whose your client - (xyz company)

2) what is your location - (xyx)

3) How long have you been with your present employer. (for x years)

4) can you show me the employer and vendor contract. (Showed her the prinoutbut she didnt even look at it. )

5) do you have the client and vendor contract. (Told her that i didnt have it since it was confidential )

6) show me the I129 copy. (Gave her the copies but she didnt even look at it.)

7) Do you have your paystubs. (I showed my paytubs for 12 months. She took it to the back office and came after 5 mins.)

8) what is your responsiblity at the client location. (Spoke on this for abt 3-4 mins. In the meantime she was busy typing on the system and kept my passport on a stack with other passports. by this time i knew my visa was approved. :))

9) Do you have plans to marry in the near future. (Dont know how relevant this question was !!!.)

Finally she said your passport will be ready in a week.

Tips to all from my personal experience.

1) Take someone along with you to the consulate. You never know what might be required at the last moment and for some moral support.

2) Wear some bright clothes. This will help improve your appearance.

3) Always smile while answering. This will hide your nervousness.

4) Try to be as confident as possible cause officer are trained to analyze your body language.

I went without an amendment and was mentally prepared that my visa will not be approved but I was super lucky to get through.

Good luck to all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi raghoo,

Congratulations on your visa approval.

I am travelling to Mumbai next week for my visa stamping as well and I am in a similar situation as yours. EVC Model, have the amended LCA for new client/ new location but do not have the amended h1b petition.

If its possible I would like to personally talk to you over the phone or chat.

Your help will be really appreciated.

my email address is sunnyhouse1981@gmail.com

Thank You.

Hi raghoo,

Congratulations on your visa approval.

I am travelling to Mumbai next week for my visa stamping as well and I am in a similar situation as yours. EVC Model, have the amended LCA for new client/ new location but do not have the amended h1b petition.

If its possible I would like to personally talk to you over the phone or chat.

Your help will be really appreciated.

my email address is sunnyhouse1981@gmail.com

Thank You.

Archived