Successful stamping in Tijuana on Dec 11.

Ceasar81

This is going to be a little long post. I am going to try and cover all the parts of my H1 stamping.My case was for a H1 renewal as FTE for a Fortune 10 company.

Getting Mexican Visa: If your US visa has expired then you need to go and get a Mexican visa. You would be risking a lot of unneccessary **** if you enter Mexico without a valid visa. It is a very simple process. I got my visa done from the San Francisco consulate. I was asked for these documents: Copy of passport, US visaappointment letter, bank statements for 2 months, 2 month paystubs, 2 passport photos . Go to the consulate and tell then you need a tourist visa. There is no appointment needed. It costed me $36 and I got the visa in the passport the next day.

Preparation of the trip: Booked Greyhound ticket from San Jose to San Ysidro. Reserved a room for 2 nights in Hotel Real Del Rio from Expedia for $65/night.Now for the crazy part: I was doing some research on Tijuana H1 stamping and found that only if the first H1 stamping was done in one's country of legal residence, could the person go to Mexico for renewal. That set into motion 2 days of crazy madness where I was trying to find on all H1 forums if that is true (including this forum). I did not get a proper answer and I was really not sure if I could go to TJ for stamping. Even called their call center and though the guy said I could go, my ultra sceptical mind was not convinced. Finally found the email id of the TJ consulate and send them an email. Thankfully they were very prompt with their reply- Here is the relevant part of the reply:"Non-Mexican citizens in the United States, other than those in B-1/B-2 or visa waiver entrant status, can apply to renew their visa the same category when that visa was issued in a previous country of residence or in Mexico.". Breathed a sigh of relief and STOPPED reading any more forum chat on stamping because it was just freaking me more than helping me at that point!

Trip to Tijuana: Unlike many others, I took the Greyhound bus to San Ysidro. Dropped me right at the border at 5:30 in the morning. One thing to note here is that the pedestrian crossing location has changed. You no longer have to go over the bridge. The new crossing is just behind the McDonalds. Crossed the border and remembered I had to fill the FMM form. Asked the lady sitting there where I could fill the form. She had no idea what form I was talking about. Did not speak a word of English and

just kept giggling and talking something in Spanish. Gave up after 5 minutes, went out and found the taxi stand. Asked him to take me to Hotel Real Del Rio. He first took me to Hotel Camino Real. Told him that was not the right place, we circled downtown Tijuana a couple of times at 6 in the morning before we finally found it. Paid $5 for the cab. Went at the reception and the guy tells me first that it is too early for a checkin - then said I could check in early if I paid $10. Paid and went to the room. Slept till 12, showered, ate some lunch at the restaurant below and left for my ASC interview at 2:30.

ASC Interview: Took a cab from the hotel. ASC is very close to Hotel Real Del Rio. Paid $5. There was practically no line. After waiting for 5 minutes, a guy comes up to me and checks my document and tells me to go inside the building. Went inside, there was some security check and the lady there took my packet of chewing gum! It was supposed to be a security hazard. Anyways, was told to go at the first counter. Guy starts in Spanish, realises I don't speak Spanish, asks me what I was there for. Told him for H1 stamping. Checks my documents and asks me -

"So this is H1 renewal"

"Yes"

"For the same company"

"Err .. ya.. for the same company."

Told me to take a seat n wait. Was called to another counter in 5 minutes.

Lady: "So this is for H1 renewal?"

ME: "Yes"

Lady:"For the same company?"

Me: "What do you mean by the same company?"

LAdy: "Was the first H1 through the same company?"

Me:" No, this one is through a new company" (I am getting a little worried now.. Why is everybody asking if it is through the same company??)

Lady:"Oh ok.. that is fine".

Lady:" Why does your DS-160 have your name printed this way: Lastname, Firstname Middlename LastNAme?"

Me: "Because that is how it is in my passport."

Lady:"Ok".

Took my fingerprints and photo, returned my documents and I was out of the place. The whole process took about 20 minutes. Walked back to the hotel, kept my documents there and went to the Cinepolis nearby in the evening. Had dinner there, got to my hotel by 8.

CSC Interview:Got up at 8, got ready, had some breakfast at the restaurant at the hotel, and left by 9:15. Guy charged me $10. Was there by 9:40 and the guy at the front asked me to get in the line immediately even though my interview was at 10:00. First you to a window where they check your documents (DS160, Appointment confirmation, Passport). Then you go through security. Again through a lobby where lot of people were sitting n waiting. I was asked to go directly to another door.

Went in and was asked to take a seat. Got called in abt 30 minutes.

VO1: "Can I see your DS160 Sir".

Gave.

VO1:"So you are here for you H1 stamping".

Me: "Yes Sir".

VO1:"Can I see your I797 and I 129".

Gave him the I797 and the whole packet from the lawyer.

VO1(a little irritated):"Sir, you should separate the I129 from the other documents"

Me:"Oh ok".

VO1:"So you work for XXXX company.What do you do there"

Me:Spewed out the 5 minute talk.

Vo1:"Looks like you know what you do"

Me:"Yes Sir" (At this point I was thinking everything is going great guns and this is a closed deal but I was in for a few shocks).

VO takes my passport and start typing something...

VO1:" Sir why is your name in the passport like this?" (My given name was:Firstname Middlename Lastname rather than just FirstName Middlename).

Me: "Err... I think the Indian consulate at San Francisco made a mistake".

Vo1 Looks at my old passport which has the right entry:"See, this is how it should be.."

Me: "Oh yes yes.." (I am going in full panic mode now, first the whole "Is this for the same company" thing and now the VO is telling me that there is a problem with my passport). Put on a straight face but I am kicking myself for not checking such a simple thing.

VO1:"Let me go check in what we can do about this" .. Leaves his desk...I am literally starting to think I will have to go back to India from Mexico because they will not issue a visa to a passport with an error.

VO1 comes back in 5 minutes: "Sir we are going to continue with your application and the Visa Officer will have to decide what is he going to do with this passport issue during your interview"

I nod my head but the thing that is going through my head is if there is another Visa Officer then who is this gentleman!! :))

This was just turning out to be a nightmare and now I am asked to wait again till my number is called again. This whole time, I am actually thinking if I should go to the Indian consulate at

Guadalajara for correcting my passport or should I go to India as I am very sure I have screwed up big time. Kicking myself for not going to India for the stamping. VO1 attaches a sticky note on my passport saying "Passport needs to be corrected".Finally my number is called and I have literally given up all hopes.

VO2: A very nice,pleasant looking lady.

VO2: "Hola"

Me:"Hello"

VO2: "Oh.. Hello. So you are here for what?"

Me: "H1 stamping". Hand over my passport, DS 160 and confirmation to her.

VO2 looks puzzled at the sticky note:"What is this?"

Me: "Looks like there is an error with the names"

VO2:"Oh they have swapped the first and the last name?"

Me:"No, they have added my lastname to the whole Given name".

Vo2:"Oh ok". (checks my passport and shrugs it off and I breathe a sigh of relief)

VO2:"Is this a renewal?"

Me:"Yes"

VO2:"Is this for the same company?"

Me: "No, it's for ABCD" (ABCD is a Fortune 10 company and she seems happy with it).

VO2:"Can I see your I797 and I129?"

Me:"Sure.. can I give you the whole packet from the lawyers?" (make sure to ask with her before this time! :))

VO2:"Sure".

Typing something in her computer. At one point she was reaching out for some papers from her desk and I had a sick feeling in my gut it could be a 221 G! :)

VO2: "what is your work location"

Me:" San Francisco .... It is actually WXYZ but that is in the Bay Area"

V02: "Ok ... and is the manager you report to in the same location ... i mean the same office"

Me:"Oh .. yes".

V02: Goes through I129 and seems happy with it.

Vo2: Holds a pamplet in hand about working in America : "Did you receive this already?"

Me: "Yes I did" (breathing easier a bit now)

Vo2: Goes away for 5 minutes

Vo2: Comes back with my passport and clarifies "So this is the name you need on your visa?"

Me: "Yes".

VO2: Goes away again and comes back after 5 minute: "You visa is aproved Sir, come tomorrow at 2 to pick it up"

Gave me a slip for pickup. I take cab back to hotel ... guy charges me $15 but I am too happy to argue. Go to my room and do a crazy dance for 20 minutes in my room alone with no music! Very very relieved. :) .. Spend the evening in downtown Tijuana and next day check out at 1 and reach the Consulate at 1:20. Passport is already ready for pickup. Pick up passport and take taxi back to the border and get in line. Line is too long , wait for almost 2 hours till I come to the check point ... Officer tells me I need to have I 94 and tell me to go to another building. Wait in the other line for another 1.5 hours. I was really starting to loose patience at that point. Inside the I 94 building got things done fast though. Few questions: "where do u work", "what do u do". Got new I 94 and joined the other line again from inside the building. I was done in 20 minutes and was in the US by 5:30. It took me close to 4 hours to cross the border because I stood in the wrong line to begin with! Anyways, took Greyhound and reached Bay Area in the morning.

That is it! I know it is a long post but I thought the more information I put here the more help it might be to people.I thought I had checked and double checked all my stuff but I had missed the most basic thing on my passport! Anyways, good luck with the stamping.

Hi Rocketboy,

In the SF consulate they actually took my picture themselves but I did carry the passport size photo myself. I think there are quite a few websites that can give you some info on the Mexican tourist visa. You might need the visa appointment letter if you tell them you are going for visa stamping. You might not need it if you tell them you are going there as a tourist buy not sure what questions they may ask for that. I found it easier to just produce the appointment letter n tell them I am going for stamping. Hope this helps.

@rocketboy_sf:

Below is the official website for Mexican visa.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/en/matricula-consular

I suggest you to send email which was address in Contact section of above link (i.e., Washington DC office email id) so that you will get response promptly with your nearest Mexican consulate address if you are not in Washington DC area.

Hope this info will be helpful!! Good Luck!!

This is going to be a little long post. I am going to try and cover all the parts of my H1 stamping.My case was for a H1 renewal as FTE for a Fortune 10 company.

Getting Mexican Visa: If your US visa has expired then you need to go and get a Mexican visa. You would be risking a lot of unneccessary **** if you enter Mexico without a valid visa. It is a very simple process. I got my visa done from the San Francisco consulate. I was asked for these documents: Copy of passport, US visaappointment letter, bank statements for 2 months, 2 month paystubs, 2 passport photos . Go to the consulate and tell then you need a tourist visa. There is no appointment needed. It costed me $36 and I got the visa in the passport the next day.

Preparation of the trip: Booked Greyhound ticket from San Jose to San Ysidro. Reserved a room for 2 nights in Hotel Real Del Rio from Expedia for $65/night.Now for the crazy part: I was doing some research on Tijuana H1 stamping and found that only if the first H1 stamping was done in one's country of legal residence, could the person go to Mexico for renewal. That set into motion 2 days of crazy madness where I was trying to find on all H1 forums if that is true (including this forum). I did not get a proper answer and I was really not sure if I could go to TJ for stamping. Even called their call center and though the guy said I could go, my ultra sceptical mind was not convinced. Finally found the email id of the TJ consulate and send them an email. Thankfully they were very prompt with their reply- Here is the relevant part of the reply:"Non-Mexican citizens in the United States, other than those in B-1/B-2 or visa waiver entrant status, can apply to renew their visa the same category when that visa was issued in a previous country of residence or in Mexico.". Breathed a sigh of relief and STOPPED reading any more forum chat on stamping because it was just freaking me more than helping me at that point!

Trip to Tijuana: Unlike many others, I took the Greyhound bus to San Ysidro. Dropped me right at the border at 5:30 in the morning. One thing to note here is that the pedestrian crossing location has changed. You no longer have to go over the bridge. The new crossing is just behind the McDonalds. Crossed the border and remembered I had to fill the FMM form. Asked the lady sitting there where I could fill the form. She had no idea what form I was talking about. Did not speak a word of English and

just kept giggling and talking something in Spanish. Gave up after 5 minutes, went out and found the taxi stand. Asked him to take me to Hotel Real Del Rio. He first took me to Hotel Camino Real. Told him that was not the right place, we circled downtown Tijuana a couple of times at 6 in the morning before we finally found it. Paid $5 for the cab. Went at the reception and the guy tells me first that it is too early for a checkin - then said I could check in early if I paid $10. Paid and went to the room. Slept till 12, showered, ate some lunch at the restaurant below and left for my ASC interview at 2:30.

ASC Interview: Took a cab from the hotel. ASC is very close to Hotel Real Del Rio. Paid $5. There was practically no line. After waiting for 5 minutes, a guy comes up to me and checks my document and tells me to go inside the building. Went inside, there was some security check and the lady there took my packet of chewing gum! It was supposed to be a security hazard. Anyways, was told to go at the first counter. Guy starts in Spanish, realises I don't speak Spanish, asks me what I was there for. Told him for H1 stamping. Checks my documents and asks me -

"So this is H1 renewal"

"Yes"

"For the same company"

"Err .. ya.. for the same company."

Told me to take a seat n wait. Was called to another counter in 5 minutes.

Lady: "So this is for H1 renewal?"

ME: "Yes"

Lady:"For the same company?"

Me: "What do you mean by the same company?"

LAdy: "Was the first H1 through the same company?"

Me:" No, this one is through a new company" (I am getting a little worried now.. Why is everybody asking if it is through the same company??)

Lady:"Oh ok.. that is fine".

Lady:" Why does your DS-160 have your name printed this way: Lastname, Firstname Middlename LastNAme?"

Me: "Because that is how it is in my passport."

Lady:"Ok".

Took my fingerprints and photo, returned my documents and I was out of the place. The whole process took about 20 minutes. Walked back to the hotel, kept my documents there and went to the Cinepolis nearby in the evening. Had dinner there, got to my hotel by 8.

CSC Interview:Got up at 8, got ready, had some breakfast at the restaurant at the hotel, and left by 9:15. Guy charged me $10. Was there by 9:40 and the guy at the front asked me to get in the line immediately even though my interview was at 10:00. First you to a window where they check your documents (DS160, Appointment confirmation, Passport). Then you go through security. Again through a lobby where lot of people were sitting n waiting. I was asked to go directly to another door.

Went in and was asked to take a seat. Got called in abt 30 minutes.

VO1: "Can I see your DS160 Sir".

Gave.

VO1:"So you are here for you H1 stamping".

Me: "Yes Sir".

VO1:"Can I see your I797 and I 129".

Gave him the I797 and the whole packet from the lawyer.

VO1(a little irritated):"Sir, you should separate the I129 from the other documents"

Me:"Oh ok".

VO1:"So you work for XXXX company.What do you do there"

Me:Spewed out the 5 minute talk.

Vo1:"Looks like you know what you do"

Me:"Yes Sir" (At this point I was thinking everything is going great guns and this is a closed deal but I was in for a few shocks).

VO takes my passport and start typing something...

VO1:" Sir why is your name in the passport like this?" (My given name was:Firstname Middlename Lastname rather than just FirstName Middlename).

Me: "Err... I think the Indian consulate at San Francisco made a mistake".

Vo1 Looks at my old passport which has the right entry:"See, this is how it should be.."

Me: "Oh yes yes.." (I am going in full panic mode now, first the whole "Is this for the same company" thing and now the VO is telling me that there is a problem with my passport). Put on a straight face but I am kicking myself for not checking such a simple thing.

VO1:"Let me go check in what we can do about this" .. Leaves his desk...I am literally starting to think I will have to go back to India from Mexico because they will not issue a visa to a passport with an error.

VO1 comes back in 5 minutes: "Sir we are going to continue with your application and the Visa Officer will have to decide what is he going to do with this passport issue during your interview"

I nod my head but the thing that is going through my head is if there is another Visa Officer then who is this gentleman!! :))

This was just turning out to be a nightmare and now I am asked to wait again till my number is called again. This whole time, I am actually thinking if I should go to the Indian consulate at

Guadalajara for correcting my passport or should I go to India as I am very sure I have screwed up big time. Kicking myself for not going to India for the stamping. VO1 attaches a sticky note on my passport saying "Passport needs to be corrected".Finally my number is called and I have literally given up all hopes.

VO2: A very nice,pleasant looking lady.

VO2: "Hola"

Me:"Hello"

VO2: "Oh.. Hello. So you are here for what?"

Me: "H1 stamping". Hand over my passport, DS 160 and confirmation to her.

VO2 looks puzzled at the sticky note:"What is this?"

Me: "Looks like there is an error with the names"

VO2:"Oh they have swapped the first and the last name?"

Me:"No, they have added my lastname to the whole Given name".

Vo2:"Oh ok". (checks my passport and shrugs it off and I breathe a sigh of relief)

VO2:"Is this a renewal?"

Me:"Yes"

VO2:"Is this for the same company?"

Me: "No, it's for ABCD" (ABCD is a Fortune 10 company and she seems happy with it).

VO2:"Can I see your I797 and I129?"

Me:"Sure.. can I give you the whole packet from the lawyers?" (make sure to ask with her before this time! :))

VO2:"Sure".

Typing something in her computer. At one point she was reaching out for some papers from her desk and I had a sick feeling in my gut it could be a 221 G! :)

VO2: "what is your work location"

Me:" San Francisco .... It is actually WXYZ but that is in the Bay Area"

V02: "Ok ... and is the manager you report to in the same location ... i mean the same office"

Me:"Oh .. yes".

V02: Goes through I129 and seems happy with it.

Vo2: Holds a pamplet in hand about working in America : "Did you receive this already?"

Me: "Yes I did" (breathing easier a bit now)

Vo2: Goes away for 5 minutes

Vo2: Comes back with my passport and clarifies "So this is the name you need on your visa?"

Me: "Yes".

VO2: Goes away again and comes back after 5 minute: "You visa is aproved Sir, come tomorrow at 2 to pick it up"

Gave me a slip for pickup. I take cab back to hotel ... guy charges me $15 but I am too happy to argue. Go to my room and do a crazy dance for 20 minutes in my room alone with no music! Very very relieved. :) .. Spend the evening in downtown Tijuana and next day check out at 1 and reach the Consulate at 1:20. Passport is already ready for pickup. Pick up passport and take taxi back to the border and get in line. Line is too long , wait for almost 2 hours till I come to the check point ... Officer tells me I need to have I 94 and tell me to go to another building. Wait in the other line for another 1.5 hours. I was really starting to loose patience at that point. Inside the I 94 building got things done fast though. Few questions: "where do u work", "what do u do". Got new I 94 and joined the other line again from inside the building. I was done in 20 minutes and was in the US by 5:30. It took me close to 4 hours to cross the border because I stood in the wrong line to begin with! Anyways, took Greyhound and reached Bay Area in the morning.

That is it! I know it is a long post but I thought the more information I put here the more help it might be to people.I thought I had checked and double checked all my stuff but I had missed the most basic thing on my passport! Anyways, good luck with the stamping.

Hi Ceasar81,

First of all thanks a lot for the great post. It gave lot of information. I live in bay area too and I would like to go to Tijuana for stamping,

I researched a lot on internet about Tijuana stamping information but I couldnt find much. I really need your help here.

Could you please provide some information about your travel to Mexico ?

I would like to know what transportation you took , does Visit to ASC need any appointment ? How many days to stay in Mexico ?

Do you get the visa back to same day of stamping ? Any recommendations on safe place to stay in Tijuana ?

Thanks for helping all of us here....

My info,

L1 - Chennai India 2006

L1 to H1 - Matamaros Mexico 2008

H1 ext/ renewal with a new employer 2012

Employement - Full time with a bank in east bay

Hi I Went to Tijuana on 18th Dec. and had a good interview and the officer said your visa is approved and gave us a slip for pickup. We requested to get the passport on the same day as we had 8 months travelling with us. The officer said he will try. We went back in the afternoon and we were asked to wait. After wait of around 2 hours, I was called and told that the visa is under 221 G processing and they are not sure how long will the approval take. I am still waiting for their answer. I am confused as the office gave me the approval notice first.Anybody else having similar experience?

I was able to get back to US on Valid I-94 but need this visa urgently.

Hi Shyguy,

Yes you definitely need to take appointment for the ASC interview. It is taken from the same site where you take the CSC interview date. Do remember that you need to take the ASC appointment date one day BEFORE the CSC appointment date though in the website they ask you to take the CSC appointment date first. You can pick dates to book your appointment and if those dates don't suit you then change the dates on the website. It is a very easy process to change dates so don't worry about that.

I took the Greyhound to Tijuana from San Jose.Stamping in TJ is a minimum 3 day process if everything goes right. 1 day each for ASC interview, CSC interview and passport pickup.

Hotel Real Del Rio is a good place to stay and you can book it through Expedia.

Hope this helps.

Hi I Went to Tijuana on 18th Dec. and had a good interview and the officer said your visa is approved and gave us a slip for pickup. We requested to get the passport on the same day as we had 8 months travelling with us. The officer said he will try. We went back in the afternoon and we were asked to wait. After wait of around 2 hours, I was called and told that the visa is under 221 G processing and they are not sure how long will the approval take. I am still waiting for their answer. I am confused as the office gave me the approval notice first.Anybody else having similar experience?

I was able to get back to US on Valid I-94 but need this visa urgently.

Hi Ani,

Thanks for responding to the thread. I'm very sorry to hear about your problems. I hope your query gets resolved soon.

How did you manage to get back to US with out the visa ?? Or are u still in Mexico ? Did any other folks run into same issue on the day you went there ?

Please share your knowledge.

Hi Shyguy,

Yes you definitely need to take appointment for the ASC interview. It is taken from the same site where you take the CSC interview date. Do remember that you need to take the ASC appointment date one day BEFORE the CSC appointment date though in the website they ask you to take the CSC appointment date first. You can pick dates to book your appointment and if those dates don't suit you then change the dates on the website. It is a very easy process to change dates so don't worry about that.

I took the Greyhound to Tijuana from San Jose.Stamping in TJ is a minimum 3 day process if everything goes right. 1 day each for ASC interview, CSC interview and passport pickup.

Hotel Real Del Rio is a good place to stay and you can book it through Expedia.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for answering all the questions! "Ceasar81" rocks \m/ :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ceasar81,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Your description I am sure is useful for many here, but for me it is also memorable. My experience with stamping in Tijuana was similar to yours up to a point and I described it here..http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/48098-visa-stamping-experience-in-tijuana-november-6th/page__hl__tijuana__fromsearch__1

Perhaps you and others have already read it. I wanted to update everyone about what happened next.

After I was placed under 221g admin processing for security clearance, I asked for my passport and other documents back so that I could take the opportunity to travel. The VO actually gave me some travel tips and informed me that AeroMexico had a direct flight from Tijuana to Shanghai! I told him I was thinking of traveling there.

Anyway, the security clearance was received on November 26th, about 3 weeks after my visa appointment date. I travelled quite extensively in Mexico (I obtained a 2 yr Mexican tourist visa at the SF consulate. I asked for 2 years and the pleasant lady there did gave it to me!) during that time...and on the 23rd I travelled to China. So I wrote the consulate saying, I wont be able to drop off my passport immediately. I returned to Tijuana on December 9th, dropped off my passport at the consulate on 10th morning at 10am and received it with visa same day at 2pm and returned to the US the same day in the evening.

In the end, I had quite an adventure and also quite a memorable experience.

Archived