H1b Approved after 221g: Name and Background Check @ Vancouver Consulate

h1b_seattle

Got Approved after 221g: Name and Background Check

So here is my story.

I had H1b Stamping interview @ Vancouver consulate, was my first stamping (F1 to H1b). I am working as FTE for one of Fortune 500 and have a common Muslim name.

Interview was on 24 Oct.. VO did not check any documents beside DS160 Confirmation , I797 and Passport. He also asked for my old passport that had F1 visa. So he can stamp “canceled without prejudice” on that.

Quesiton:

Whom you work for?

What’s your designation?

Who was your previous Employer?

Where you did you MS?

A general question about Michigan?

Then he told me they need to run some name and and background check before he can approve my visa. I asked if anything I can do or any document to expedite the process and answer was negative.. Handed me 221g white slip with no documents required box checked.

And then it was just long excruciating waiting game. I emailed Vancouver consulate and called DOS every week to ask status though I get the same response every time. I don’t think it does anything to expedite the process but I did that anyway.

Also asked my HR to email Vancouver consulate as well and they got the same response that i get.

Finally on Monday Dec 10 I got email from consulate that they are in process of approving my H1b and I can pick it up Tuesday between 2:15 – 2:45 pm.

Went to consulate and picked up my passport on Tuesday and got back to US Wednesday.

Timeline:

Interview Date: 24 Oct

Clearance Received : 7 Dec

Visa Issued : 10 Dec

Passport collected from consulate: 11 Dec.

Back in US:12 Dec

Some Observations just based on my personal research and observation:

· I don’t think there is any silver bullet for 221g TAL (Name and background check) it can be resolved from within 10 days to 12 months.

· Not sure but as per my observation leaving your passport with VO in Vancouver expedite a process a bit.

· 45 - 50 days is a good threshold before you plan to go back to your home country.

· Always get multiple entry VISA of Canada. I had single entry visa and was very nervous in case I had to fly back and forth.

· For people working on tight budget, If you get 221g and decide to wait in Canada I recommend start looking for shared places immediately. You can find plenty of shared accommodation on craiglist on month to month or even weekly basis.(will save some bucks).

· Get monthly buss Pass and you can pretty much travel anywhere in Vancouver.

· Get in touch with people in similar case just to have some company.

· Most of all if you have common muslim name, 99% chances are you going to get 221g for name and background check. So be mentally prepared for it. and if you are in this situation Pray as much as you can, thats the only thing that will help you getting through this.

I hope it will help those who planning to get H1b stamped. Wish all good luck.

thanks for posting your expereince. I am going thru the waiting phase of 221g, which I received at Hyderabad cosulate on November 14th. Don't know how long is it going to take. i have a common muslim name too. I didnt try to contact DOS yet, but I am thinking to contact them very soon, not sure if thats gonna help.

So bcos you have common name, you got 221g??

Rahul, that is correct. I never asked for any document nor my employer got any email. VO told me they need to run name and background check.

thanks for posting your expereince. I am going thru the waiting phase of 221g, which I received at Hyderabad cosulate on November 14th. Don't know how long is it going to take. i have a common muslim name too. I didnt try to contact DOS yet, but I am thinking to contact them very soon, not sure if thats gonna help.

Wish you all the best. Not sure calling DOS helps or not but like i said i used to do it atleast once a week.

Archived