H1B & H4 stamping in Canada

Mali

Hello!

Greetings!

Here is the situation:

Husband : On H1B - has 2 Master Degrees from US, currently full time employee awaiting Green Card. The last H1B stamping was done in Japan in May 2009 when he was deputed for a project. Recently his H1B visa is extended for 3 more years.

Wife: On H4 - last stamping was in India in Dec 2009, recenty H4 visa is extended for 3 more years. The previous stamping on the Passport will be expired in the first week of Jan 2013.

Questions:

1. Does it make sense in my husband's case to go to Canada for H1B visa stamping? What are the risks? For some reason, if his Visa is delayed / not approved in Canada, he has no choice but to go to India for stamping.

2. Whether my H4 visa can be stamped in Canada along with his H1B ?

3. I am not sure, whether we can get an appointment before my visa stamping expiry in Jan 2013. Where can I see the availability of dates? We live in New Jersey and which consulate in Canada is convenient to us in terms of appointment dates, travel, and accommodation?

I appreciate if you could provide suggestions/advice in the above scenario.

Thank you!

Mali

1. I don't think there would be any risk involved as your husband is working for Fulltime.

2. Your H4 visa will be stamped along with H1B. But both needs to take combined interview (I don't know the process as I never tried this).

3. When you got H1/H4 extended you will get new I-94 with expiry date/validity of H1/H4 on I-797 bottom part. So you are good if you got appointment after Jan 2013. In order to check the dates availablility you need to pay CSC fee of $190 each applicant. Ottawa is the nearest consulate to New Jersy.

Archived