H1 Stamping right before 6months deadline

rajehsegu

My Passport is expiring 9th July 2013, I am planning to book a (L1 to ) H1 VISA stamping date between 1st and 5th of Jan 2013. I would like to know if you guys see any complications I could face.

My return journey is on Jan 24th by which I will have 5.5 months of passport validity and at the port of entry, I am imagining my I94 would have the date of the PP expiry, which I can apply for I94 extension as soon as I renew my passport once I am back.

Immigration guru's, please chime in.

Generally, the passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the anticipated stay in the U.S. If CBP issues a shortended I-94 card to match the passport expiration, an I-129 extension petition must be filed in the U.S. prior to the I-94 expiration. There is no simple "I-94 extension." In certain circumstances the US may recognize an extended passport validity for countries that automatically extend the passport validity by six months. The safest approach may be to obtain a new passport before applying for the visa. Please schedule a consultation with an experience immigration attorney to determine what is the best course of action in your case.

Archived